Anything DC can do, Marvel can do better! Probably, I guess. Anyway, while DC and Warner Bros. may be busy sticking their thumbs in a recent leak that revealed a radical shift in how they’re approaching the future of their extended universe of movies, it looks like Marvel is also joining in on those leaky thumb wars.
That’s according to reddit sources picked up over at ScreenGeek, which revealed possible new spoilers for upcoming films Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, Thor: Ragnarok (AND ROLL AMIRITE?) and Doctor Strange. Needless to say, there’s going to be some spoilers ahead. Here’s a picture of Baby Groot to serve as a handy buffer then before you read too far and hate me forever:
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Ego the living planet will be an antagonist, but he isn’t the main threat in Volume 2. Instead, it’s Ayesha who owns that role, with Taserface serving as a secondary threat.
- Sylvester Stallone and Sharon Stone will appear as members of the immortal aliens known as the Ancients, who hire the Guardians to eliminate Ego.
- This is all part of Ayesha’s grand plan.
- Yondu and Nebula will join the team.
- So will Mantis, who is revealed to be Star-Lord’s half-sister and a prisoner on Ego.
- The Nova Corps will return, while audiences will see more of the Kree as well.
- Groot will remain in his adorable child-sized form for most of the movie.
- The romance between Star Lord and Gamora will continue to grow.
- Thanos will be referenced on Volume 2, but you won’t see him.
- Neither will the Infinity Stones, but they’ll be referenced.
- The end of Volume 2 leads directly into Avengers: Infinity War.
- Marvel still wants a third Guardians movie, although director and writer James Gunn has not confirmed if he’ll be back for the hat trick.
- Reshoots done on Doctor Strange helped streamline the training sequence of the second act.
- More humour was also added, alongside a Tony Stark cameo.
- Kevin Feige has been keeping a very close eye on this film, as he wants Baron Mordo and Stephen Strange to become important recurring characters in the MCU in the future.
- An Infinity Stone will be seen in Doctor Strange, specifically the Time Stone.
- The timeline of Stephen Strange being injured and going on his quest, happens at roughly the same time that Tony Stark is kidnapped in Afghanistan during the first Iron Man movie.
- Stephen’s training spans the rest of the MCU timeline as he spends years mastering the mystic arts.
- A sequel to Doctor Strange is already being planned, with Benedict Cumberbatch and Chiwetel Ejiofor already slated to return as well.
- Tilda Swinton’s casting as the ancient one was done so as to avoid any negative Asian stereotypes and because of her unusual appearance.
- Thor: Ragnarok will have a tone inspired by Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Serious but with small moments of humour scattered throughout it.
- Thanks to Loki, the Hulk finds himself on a gladiator planet.
- Thor also finds his way to that planet, meeting Valkyrie in the arenas.
- There’s no romantic spark between them, but the two do have chemistry.
- There’ll be zero reference whatsoever to Jane Foster.
- Another Infinity Stone, the Soul Gem, will be revealed.
- Loki and Hela have teamed up to get their hands on the Soul Gem, and it’s thanks to her that Loki now sits on the Throne of Asgard.
- Hela has a plan to kickstart Ragnarok and destroy all nine realms.
- A plan which involves her betraying Loki.
- Loki teams up with Thor to defeat Hela, but betrays him as well alongside the locations to the rest of the Infinity Stones to Thanos as he bargains for his life.
- Thanos will launch a full-scale offensive on the universe.
- Skurge serves Hela as her champion, but he turns against her when he discovers her plans for universal omnicide.
- Skurge fights to the death against an army on his own, to give Thor enough time to save the day.
- Surtur and Fenris the wolf will appear.
- Banished from Asgard, Odin has been living as a hobo on Earth.
- Odin is restored to full power in the final scene as he battles the greatest monsters of Ragnarok.
- Sif, the Warriors Three and Heimdall will all return.
- Heimdall won’t survive however, most likely to the relief of Idris Elba who probably really hates that massive helmet he has to wear.
- Doctor Strange will pop up in a cameo.
Sounds plausible, if you’re ready to pinch a bag of sodium along the way. Some of these rumours have actually been confirmed already, so uh, sorry if I spoilt three movies for you. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 rocks on with a release date of April 25 2017, Doctor Strange weaves a few spells on October 26 of this year and Thor: Ragnarok finally reveals the mystery of the purple floating man who doesn’t like to get up on October 25 2017.
Last Updated: September 5, 2016