Things are nice and peaceful at the movie zoo this week. We are happy to report that the introduction of a few new meal portions went well, and the animals are still happily chewing on their servings from last week.
Fresh to the feeding frenzy is Finding Dory, officially the second Pixar franchise to raise the bar on the sequel game. It placed itself firmly in the top spot, which means several movies took a step down.
Every morsel between 1 and 6 have shifted down a notch since last week. Warcraft, Now You See Me 2 and Angry Birds continue to defy critics and do really well. The Conjuring 2 is also bucking the recent trend for horrors and enjoying a solid run.
Sandwiched in at 6th is the arrival of The Nice Guys – though well hyped and loved, its lukewarm debut is typical of any adult action thriller in the South African market. Audiences will chew on it for a week or two, then get bored.
Local hit Mrs. Right and the politically-infused Money Monster both stayed put, which is not bad considering the heavy competition on the chart.
But if you want rotting carcasses, Alice Through The Looking Glass and X-Men Apocalypse are stinking up the place. Both have dropped hard and now sit teetering at the garbage chute.
- 01. FINDING DORY (incl 3D & Imax) (NE)
- 02. WARCRAFT (Incl 3D & Imax) (LW: 1)
- 03. NOW YOU SEE ME: THE SECOND ACT (LW: 2)
- 04. ANGRY BIRDS (Incl 3D) (LW: 3)
- 05. THE CONJURING 2 (LW: 4)
- 06. THE NICE GUYS (NE)
- 07. MRS RIGHT GUY (LW: 7)
- 08. MONEY MONSTER (LW: 8)
- 09. ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS (LW: 6)
- 10. X-MEN: APOCALYPSE (Incl 3D, Imax & 4DX) (LW: 5)
(LW = Last Week; NE = New Entry)
Last Updated: June 23, 2016