Iron Galaxy is one of those developers whose work you’ve undoubtedly experienced, but isn’t immediately recognisable, as they’ve largely been handling porting duties, with the odd, interspersed original game. That changed a bit with fighting game parody Divekick, and the second season of Microsoft’s rebooted Killer Instinct after original developer Double Helix got gobbled up by Amazon.
I have a feeling that’s going to change with Extinction. It’s a game about fighting giant Ogres and Orcs, and that’s enough for it to grab my interest.
“As far back as anyone can remember, humanity has been at war with itself. For generations, kingdoms have fought amongst themselves while the real threat loomed in the distance. Only those trained in the ways of the ancient order stand a chance at defeating the 150-foot-tall ogres and the armies that trail in their wake. You are one of the world’s last Sentinels, a soldier named Avil, equipped with the skills to battle the endless waves of Ravenii.”
Here’s the bulletpoint feature list:
- Deep Story Campaign. Protect the human population across an abundant story campaign, rescuing as many civilians as possible and taking down brutal opponents.
- Dynamic Side Missions. Complete numerous side missions with various objectives, earning upgrades to aid you in your campaign.
- Skill-Based Combat. Travel horizontally and vertically, perform wall runs, and use your whip as a vault to perform devastating air assaults. Master dynamic combat maneuvers to effectively traverse the giant beasts and expose their weak points, progressing along different skill trees to develop a path best suited to your playstyle.
- Interactive Environment. Move freely around a fully destructible environment, and use objects throughout the world to your strategic advantage.
- Innumerable Battle Scenarios. Every battlefield is different from the last, ensuring a unique combat situation each time you play.
- Custom Battles. Create custom battlegrounds with varied objectives, and challenge players online to compete for the top score.
- Extinction Mode. Fight off a continuous horde of assailants as wave after wave of ogres and their minions attack without relent.
“Extinction is absolutely relentless,” said Kraig Kujawa, Game Director at Iron Galaxy. “We’re really happy with the fast, fluid feel of the game and we’re looking forward to showing it behind closed doors at E3.”
And we’ll be there to take a look at it.
The game’s coming to PC, Ps4 and Xbox One in early 2018.
Last Updated: June 1, 2017