WWE Summerslam, the penultimate cornerstone of the big four events, kicked off at the Barclays Center in New York City last night. With titles from across RAW and Smackdown LIVE on the line, it was also a night of grudge matches and spectacles as some belts changed hands and others remained around the waists of their dominant champions.
Here’s all the action that went down:
- The Miz and The Miztourage def. The Hardy Boyz and Jason Jordan
- Neville def. Akira Tozawa to become the new WWE Cruiserweight Champion
- John Cena def. Baron Corbin
- Natalya def. Naomi to become SmackDown Women’s Champion
- Big Cass def. Big Show
- Randy Orton def. Rusev
- The Usos def. The New Day to become SmackDown Tag Team Champions
- Sasha Banks def. Alexa Bliss to become the new Raw Women’s Champion
- “The Demon” Finn Bálor def. Bray Wyatt
- Dean Ambrose & Seth Rollins def. Cesaro & Sheamus to become the new Raw Tag Team Champions
- United States Champion AJ Styles def. Kevin Owens (Shane McMahon – Special Guest Referee)
- WWE Champion Jinder Mahal def. Shinsuke Nakamura
- WWE Universal champion Brock Lesnar def. Braun Strowman, Samoa Joe and Roman Reigns
What a night! The first big title change of the night kicked off with Neville regaining the Cruiserweight title that he had lost a week ago to Akira Tozawa on Monday Night RAW, as the king returned to his throne with an almighty Red Arrow on the Stamina King. The night would also see Smackdown Women’s champion Naomi dethroned as Natalya’s dreaded Sharpshooter submission hold was locked in dead center in the ring.
Titles would also change hands as the proponents of positivity known as the New Day found their biggest guns squashed by Jimmy and Jey Uso. Next, it was Alexa Bliss who saw her championship stripped away from her as little miss Bliss submitted to the excruciating pain of a Banks Statement in a hard-fought match for the ages.
The last big title change of the night saw former Shield brothers Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins reborn as a team, handing a solid defeat to Cesaro and Sheamus as they emerged as the new top faces of the RAW tag team division. The night would then see the rest of the champs hold onto their belts. AJ Styles managed to stave off a crafty Kevin Owens in a bid for the United States championship, while WWE champion Jinder Mahal barely survived Shinsuke Nakamura’s strong style in the ring.
The biggest match of the night, was one where giants clashed. Brock Lesnar, Braun Strowman, Samoa Joe and Roman Reigns. Titans in one fatal fourway where only one man could walk away as the WWE Universal champion. That man…was Brock Lesnar. In a match where ever competitor shaved years off of each other’s lifespans with slams, suplexes and heavy blows, it was the Beast Incarnate who walked away with the biggest title in the WWE.
Despite taking an entire trio of Superman Punches from Reigns, Lesnar was still able to survive the absolute pandemonium of the night when he turned a Spear attempt into an F5. Connecting with devastating fashion, Lesnar retained his position as the top dog of the WWE for one more night.
Last Updated: August 21, 2017