Every time I think Sony is starting to drop the ball with their exclusives, I’m reminded of stellar titles that have been released or are in the pipeline. I still haven’t played Uncharted 4, but the way everyone I know has raved about it, I’m feeling like that’s a grave mistake. But that’s okay, because I’m saving myself for Horizon Zero Dawn, the post-post-apocalyptic PS4 exclusive that is poised to consume me. With a cool heroine, a lush world and an intriguing story, I’m pretty much ready to pre-order already. But there is a whole lot more to the machines than we might think at first.
Here is a look at the Evolution of the Machines:
I love that the machines will serve multiple purposes. Those tall, majestic looking creatures serve sort of like the towers in Assassin’s Creed, revealing the world, but also setting off an EMP? That’s pretty cool! By this point, we’ve actually seen a variety of machines across the trailers. So here are all of the ones that have been confirmed.
- Watchers – these are the smallest machines you’ll encounter. They scan the environment, and if you are noticed they will call the other machines for reinforcements. But, if you manage to get your hands on them, you can actually have one as a pet/companion who will fight alongside you.
- Broadheads – these ones look a lot like cattle. As shown a lot in previous gameplay, they can be used as mounts, getting you around faster. Of course, you’ll need to subdue it first.
- Shellwalkers – this crab-like creature is pretty much a chest on legs. Filled with valuable loot that is probably difficult to get at, it seems like a good challenge for those who really want the epic loot.
- Snapmaw – these guys look like robotic crocodiles and are just as deadly. Generally found around water environments (who would have thought robots would want to be around water), the Snapmaw is built as a distinctly challenging machine.
- Tallman – this giraffe-type robot is your walking tower. Climb to the top and you can get a better sense of the map, as well as send out an EMP to stun all the enemies in the area.
- Mecha-Giant-Bull? – No idea what this one is actually called, but it’s the giant machine we saw Alloy fight in that first trailer. Definitely a big challenge, but sure to also drop a ton of good crafting resources.
- Mecha-eagle? – Also, no idea on this one’s actual name, but it has been shown off in a couple screenshots and gotten a second or two of screen time in trailers. Also looks mighty challenging, but I can only hope that you can subdue it and fly around the world.
There is a lot of potential in this game – I am amped to travel the world, exploring the ruins of our civilization and hunting all the machines. I just hope the story lives up to my expectations. It looks so cool at the moment, it better not devolve into cliches and average gameplay.
Last Updated: October 27, 2016