The Electronic and Gaming Expo (EGE) is around the corner, and the event is often seen as Cape Town’s biggest, and pretty much only, major gaming event of the year. EGE has also in the more recent years become home to esports in Cape Town as organisations such as Orena, African Cyber Gaming League, Zombiegamer, and more flock to the expo to bring some of South Africa’s best talent to the floor. While EGE has acted as a professional hub, this weekend EGE, ACGL and Zombiegamer are teaming up to bring an Esports Weekend to Cape Town in order to promote the development of Esports and Gaming in Cape Town. The event will see tournaments in FIFA 17 and Injustice 2 on Xbox One and PS4 respectively.
Image courtesy of Zombiegamer, a bunch who have been doing this for quite some time.
Here’s all the information you need:
- Where: Sarepta Sport and Recreation Centre, Kappertjie Street, Kuils River, Western Cape
- When: Saturday the 24th and Sunday the 25th of June.
- Times: Saturday – 09:30 to 18:00, Sunday – 10:00 to 16:00.
- How much: It’s totally free.
Saturday: FIFA 17 (Xbox One)
- Player Cap: 256 players (128 via pre-registration | 128 via walk-in)
- Times: 9:30-10h30 – Player Registration | 11h00 to finish – Tournament
- Prize Pool: R16,000 cash (Split across top eight)
- Bracket: Double Elimination: Up to 128 players | Single Elimination: 129 to
Saturday: Injustice 2 (PS4)
- Player Cap: 64 players (32 via pre-registration | 32 via walk-in)
- Times: 10:30-11h30 – Player Registration | 12h00 to finish – Tournament
- Prize Pool: R8,000 cash (Split across top eight)
- Bracket: Double Elimination: Up to 32 players | Single Elimination: 33 to 64
Sunday: FIFA 17 (Xbox One) | 13 to 18-year- old only
- Player Cap: 128 players (48 via pre-registration | 120 via walk-in)
- Times: 10h00-10h45 – Player Registration | 11h00 to finish – Tournament
- Prize Pool: R2,400 cash (Split across top eight)
- Bracket: Double Elimination: Up to 64 players | Single Elimination: 65 to 128
Sunday: Injustice 2 (PS4) | 13 to 18-year- old only | Free-to- play | No tournament
If you’re looking to attend you can pre-register online, which would mean you skip the queues.
This is a great grassroots initiative by EGE, ACGL and Zombiegamer as it incorporates two titles which are easy to understand and enjoy. The two most important parts to development are taken care of and those are engagement and enjoyment, and we can rest assured that this event will see a number of players getting their first taste of some good competition.
Check out esports central
Last Updated: June 22, 2017
June 22, 2017 at 14:09
Funny that Injustice 2 is rated 16 but there is a 13 – 18 yo competition. I am not commenting on the age restriction and who should be playing and who shouldn’t. I do find it interesting that the organisers don’t follow the guidance of whoever decided on the age restriction. Of course xbox one is only rated teen but that’s probably just cause the lower resolution. #TrollNowBeforeTheXComesOut.