Ah, YouTube – becoming more relevant than TV, it’s how people watch video content and share it with their friends. You might think that movies and music hold the top spot, but YouTube proved this last quarter that games were actually the top dog.
Think with Google gives quarterly rankings for YouTube trailers, as well as monthly ones for ads. It’s quite informative, and puts things in perspective. For the Summer Edition, here’s the leader board:
- Official Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Reveal Trailer – 20,944,564 views
- X-Men: Days of Future Past | Official Trailer 3 [HD] – 18,009,783 views
- Who’s Next? – Official Mortal Kombat X Announce Trailer – 10,958,043 views
- Orange Is The New Black – Season 2 – Official Trailer – 8,507,775 views
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Official Trailer [HD] – 8,383,880 views
- Official Extended Trailer | GOTHAM – 8,029,518 views
- Disney’s Cinderella Official Teaser Trailer – 7,510,082 views
- The Interview – Official Teaser Trailer – 6,003,616 views
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Trailer #2 – 5,690,122 views
- Hercules: Trailer #2 – 4,194,986 views
What I find particularly interesting is that two of the top spots are taken with games – COD: Advanced Warfare as well as Mortal Kombat X. It’s important to note that movies were going through their usual trailer slump in this period because the movies were actually releasing, not just getting teased. However, now that SDCC is over and production houses are upping their game again, we will probably see it shift back towards movies in the coming quarter, especially as the games will start releasing rather than showing off trailers.
Still, it’s pretty cool to think that mainstream YouTube audiences are interested in gaming this much. Granted, it’s COD, but still – at least we see just how mainstream the appeal of gaming really is.
Last Updated: August 1, 2014
August 2, 2014 at 10:18
Just want to say, I read your article, Zoe 🙂