If you played as a Warlock in Destiny, you most likely specialised in two of the sub-classes for that lethal intellectual: The ever-useful Sunsinger and its ability to pull a Lazarus, or perhaps the UNLIMITED POOOOWER of the Stormcaller as you channeled an entire Quickening from Highlander through your fingertips.
The Voidwalker though? It was decent enough before The Taken King, but the sheer destructive power of the Stormcaller sub-class easily trumped it and then some. Harnessing the dark matter of space in Destiny 2 is back and better than ever, as the class has had a hefty tune-up to make it stand toe to toe with the other skill-trees in the sequel.
The biggest gun in the Voidwalker class for instance, the Nova Bomb, now features a pair of modifications. With the Attunement of Hunger you can once again trap enemies within an ever-damaging vortex, while Attunement of Chaos fires a projectile that may be slower but does have a homing function that makes it a nightmare to dodge. Hell, you can even fire a few shots into it and cause it to explode early. I’m giggling microscopically at how this can be used in PvE.
The rest of the skill tree focuses on sacrificing damage output for health and vice versa. Attunement of hunger being used to draw some health from your grenades is going to come in pretty handy. Here’s the full breakdown on the dark talents that are waiting for you when you choose the Warlock in the Destiny 2 beta:
- Healing Rift – Press and hold Circle/B to conjure a well of Light that continuously heals those inside it.
- Empowering Rift – Press and hold Circle/B to conjure a well of Light that increases weapon damage for those inside it.
- Vortex Grenade – A grenade that creates a Vortex which continually damages enemies trapped inside.
- Axion Bolt – A bolt of Void Light that forks into smaller bolts on impact that seek out enemies.
- Scatter Grenade – A grenade that splits into many submunitions and covers a large area with multiple explosions.
- Strafe Glide – Jump when airborne to activate Glide and start an airborne drift with strong directional control.
- Blink – Jump while airborne to teleport a short distance.
- Burst Glide – Jump while airborne to activate Glide and start an airborne drift with a strong initial boost of speed.
Attunement of Chaos
- Chaos Accelerant – Hold L1 to draw power from your Super to overcharge your grenade, making it deadlier and more effective.
- Bloom – Void ability kills cause enemies to explode.
- Cataclysm – Nova Bomb travels slowly and seeks enemies. Detonations shatter into smaller seeker projectiles. Fire your weapon at the Nova Bomb to detonate it early.
- Entropic Pull – Strike an enemy with this Melee Ability to drain your enemy’s life force and use it to recharge your grenade.
Attunement of Hunger
- Devour – Kill an enemy with this melee ability to fully regenerate your health. For a short time afterward, kills restore additional health.
- Feed the Void – Hold L1 to consume your grenade energy to regenerate your health. Grants the Devour effect.
- Insatiable – While the Devour effect is active, killing enemies extends its duration and recharges your grenade.
- Vortex – Nova Bomb creates a singularity which continually damages enemies trapped inside.
- Nova Bomb – Hurl an explosive bolt of Void Light at the enemy, disintegrating those caught within its blast.
Voidwalker is now also the name of my Destiny cover band. Catch us performing our none-hit wonder Back in Black Spindle this weekend.
Last Updated: July 19, 2017