Whether you like the Naruto games with a burning passion symbolised by your custom forehead protector (an oddly specific piece of gear) or just flatout hate the series, you’ve got to admit that the games look good. Damned good. Cel-shaded animation to the extreme, CyberConnect 2’s visuals usually set a benchmark or four whenever a new Naruto game is released.
And Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 looks like the series has reached the peak of just what’s possible when you combine anime-style visuals with cutting edge technology. Look, it’s bloody beautiful, is what I’m saying. Unless you’re on PC that is, as Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 isn’t exactly eye-pleasing so far.
According to the anguished wails of fans who downloaded it on Friday, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 has various restrictions in place, preventing it from running at a silky-smooth 60fps. Here’s a dash of fan anger, from the Steam Reviews page:
This version of the game and all the flaws, bugs, framerate cap and the lack of graphic options it has are an insult for the Naruto fanbase on Steam. – Jianlueme
Lack of graphics options on the menu compared to previous games, which is just inexcusable – Devnant
Don’t buy this game until they patch it. It’s not worth buying unless they patch it, if they decide to patch it. Even the starting menu has fps drops. I have a 970gtx and the game still looks awful – Evil_Penguins
That 30 FPS lock seems to be the biggest complaint so far, with more fans bemoaning poor audio issues as well. One fan compiled a list of problems based on a PC running with some beefy hardware, via NeoGAF:
- 30FPS Lock
- No V-SYNC (Can be turned on if edited config files)
- 720p and 1080p resolutions in settings (Can be changed to 1440p or 4K in config files)
- No Supersampling (SSAA can be turned on in config files but doesn’t do anything)
- Some gamepads don’t work and some people can’t seem to play on Keyboard
- Badly Optimized: Lots of people are getting slowdowns, crashes, low fps, sound not working (also voices can only be heard from left channel at the moment), stuttering and even game in a different language. (** These don’t apply to me)
That’s a damned shame. It’s not the first PC port that Bandai Namco has released in a particularly buggy state, but after a five month delay fans were expecting better. Hopefully a patch or two can sort this out soon.
Last Updated: February 8, 2016