Punishing rogue-like space sim FTL is a favourite among many of you – and you’ll be glad to know that the game’s content expansion, branded as FTL: Advanced Edition is coming next week. Best bit? It, and all other content packs will be free. Take that, paid-for DLC!
The developers confirmed this news on FTL’s site, saying that FTL: Advanced Edition will be available on April 3. Here’s what’s new
- An entirely new playable ship and race, the Lanius;
- 10 new playable ship layouts;
- 4 new Systems & Subsystems that drastically change gameplay;
- Over 15 new weapons & drones and 11 new ship Augmentations.
- New music from Ben Prunty and new events from writer Tom Jubert and guest writer Chris Avellone.
- Tons of other new content and gameplay tweaks and polish.
Also on that date, subset games will be releasing the much-anticipated iPad version of the game, ensuring that your productivity reaches an all-time low.
Here’s what they say about the iPad version
- It is the full and complete PC game with no ads or In-App-Purchases and will be priced the same as the PC version at $10.
- It will run on all version 2 and later iPads. It will not be available for version 1 iPads and will not be available on iPhones.
- Its UI is completely redesigned for touch control optimization.
- It includes the new Advanced Edition free expansion which will release for PC at the same date.
- It is only available in English for the time being.
- It is unable to connect to PC versions of the game to share the same save game or profile data.
I think FTL is one of those games that really could shine, much like Desktop Dungeons would. It’s the sort of thing that could easily keep you glued to your tablet. Here’re some screens of the tablet version.
Last Updated: March 28, 2014