Delta Squad is getting prepped to roll out and kick some serious Locus ass one more time.
Gears of War 3 was originally scheduled to release in April of this year, but was delayed for ‘strategic reasons’ which upset most of us to no end. The final release date, while still late in the year happens to be a little earlier than I expected though.
Details and more after the jump.
The news was released last night and we have a confirmed date of September 20, but we have since received an official Press Release from Microsoft. We’ve posted it below:
Johannesburg, South Africa – 24 February 2011 – Get your calendar out, get a pen, and mark the 20th September 2011 as the day when Gears of War 3, this year’s biggest blockbuster title, launches worldwide.
Gears of War 3 is the glorious conclusion to one of the most memorable sagas in video games’ history and this is a date you certainly don’t want to miss. The story takes place eighteen months after the events of Gears of War 2 and the loss of the human stronghold of Jacinto. Marcus, Baird, Dom and company continue their fight to save human civilization, as they battle the Locust and face new threats from within the planet throughout the campaign mode.
Here is what else you can expect from 2011’s most highly anticipated game:
- Â· An enthralling cinematic story that captivates players in an intimately intense action game
- Five-on-five multiplayer experience as well as four player campaign co-op experience
- New multiplayer game modes including â€˜Beast Mode’ – offering a new twist to the game where you take on the role of the locust horde and their assorted variations!
- New maps including: Trenches which features an impressive sand storm that reduces your visibility, as well as Overpass, Mercy, Checkout, and Thrashball.
- New weapons including: The Bayonet Charge, The Retro Lancer, The Sawed-off Shotgun, The OneShot – a heavy sniper rifle that shoots through shields or cover for a surprise one shot kill, The Incendiary Grenade, The Digger Launcher and a few subtle tweaks to old favourites Hammerburst and The Classic Lancer. And don’t forget that each weapon now has its own execution move!
Stay tuned for more updates, and keep your eyes peeled for more news on the Official Multiplayer Public Beta coming soon! Follow South Africa’s local Xbox 360 Twitter page @Xbox360ZA and on the Facebook page Xbox 360 South Africa.
Good stuff, I expected them to leave it for a little later in the year to catch more of the Christmas shopping rush, but if it means that I get to play it sooner then I ain’t gonna complain.
Last Updated: February 24, 2011