Sony and EA said that the downloadable murder simulator Battlefield 1943 would be available – on disc – to people who bought Battlefield 3. It wasn’t. As you might imagine, people were pissed. Most probably don’t care about the game, in all honesty, but when you promise something to people, and then renege on that promise they tend to get a little uppity.
Angry people on the internet – threating with legal action – seems to have done something, as they’re now offering the game up for free.
EA, following the furore, tried to palm of timed exclusive DLC to PS3 players; only it was DLC that we already knew was coming. Some of the more loyalist Sony adherents believed it to be a Microsoft ploy, but it seems to have been just a case of corporate idiocy.
“There have been some misunderstandings around Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield 3,” EA said in a statement. “To address this we are making Battlefield 1943 available free of charge to owners of Battlefield 3 on the PS3 beginning this month.”
Want to download your copy? Here’s how :
- Activate your Battlefield 3 Online Pass for the PlayStation 3 using the voucher included in the game (see step #5 for additional instructions).
- Visit 1943redemption.battlefield.com on or after the dates outlined above for your region and log in with your Origin ID and password. Click here if you need help with retrieving your account information.
- Select your territory. Note vouchers do not work across regions.
- You will then receive a PlayStation 3 voucher for Battlefield 1943.
Input your voucher into the PlayStation Network store. Instructions below.
- From the XMB (cross media-bar) of the PlayStation 3 connected to a network, choose [account management] under the [PlayStation Network].
- From the menu select redeem codes.
- Enter voucher and select continue.
- Download Battlefield 1943.
The service will be available in a staggered release, with European guys (including us in SA) getting it first.
- November 26th, 2011 for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation Network Sony Europe.
- December 10th, 2011 for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation Network Sony America.
- December 17th, 2011 for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation Network Sony Asia and Sony Japan.
Last Updated: November 25, 2011