Contrary to the expression “there are no new things under the sun”, people haven’t yet seemed to run out of things to do in Minecraft; there is even a new mod that will let you build a spaceship and go explore other moons and planets – Galacticraft.
Claiming “the sky is no longer the limit”, Galacticraft lets you explore the solar system in your own spaceship. This might sound like yet another intensely difficult build system, like those seen in gregcraft and thaumcraft. However, just watch this video to get a sense of some of the possibilities in Galacticraft and you will see how simple it actually is.
The current list of features are:
- Travel throughout the solar system!
- Create and customize your very own spaceship (customization coming soon)!
- Explore new planets and moons!
- Electrical and Oxygen System!
- SMP Support – Explore with your friends!
- Multiple language support!
- New mobs!
- Lots of new items and blocks!
- Dungeons (coming soon)!
- API to allow modders to add more content, including whole new solar systems and galaxies!
You can download Galacticraft here.
I’m still not so sure about Minecraft. I can understand the appeal – people who say it’s boring just don’t have the imagination to build something. Like a giant sandbox, it’s all about playing and building towards a goal. That said, I just can’t get into it. Maybe it’s because I don’t do well with first person games, or maybe my imagination just isn’t oriented that way. Somehow, it just doesn’t feel like fun to me. Although, that said, I do enjoy watching all the crazy videos of people playing it on YouTube.
Last Updated: July 23, 2013