I’m a sucker for first-person shooters that have endless mobs of enemies – mostly of the zombie/undead/monster kind. I’ve given many hours to titles like Painkiller, Serious Sam, and most recently, the Left 4 Dead series. One title I missed, but always had my eye on, was Killing Floor. Even though it appealed to me in many ways, I never got around to playing it. That may change soon, as a sequel is on the way, and it hits Steam Early Access in less than two weeks time.
In KILLING FLOOR 2 players descend into continental Europe where the outbreak caused by Horzine Biotech’s failed experiment has quickly spread and gained unstoppable momentum, essentially paralyzing the European Union— Just one month after the events in the original KILLING FLOOR, the specimen clones are everywhere and civilization is in disarray; communications have failed, governments have collapsed, and military forces have been systematically eradicated. The people of Europe know survival and self-preservation too well and lucky survivors have gone into hiding.
Not all have given up hope though… A group of civilians and mercenaries have banded together to combat the outbreak and established privately funded operation bases across Europe. Upon tracking specimen clone outbreaks, players will descend into zed-laden hot zones and exterminate them.
Basically, you have to kill all the things… FOR SCIENCE – or something. Sounds like there is lots of shooting to be done. If that’s your kind of thing, here are some of the features you can expect:
- Visceral Gore – Killing Floor 2 ramps up the gore with a proprietary, high powered persistent blood system bringing new levels of fidelity to the genre. Players will send entrails, severed limbs, and blood flying as they wade through hordes of enemies. But they need to watch out! If caught, enemies will rip them, and their entire party limb from limb
- 6 player co-op or solo play— A multitude of varied playable characters await for players to choose from as they enter the fray in online co-op mode or solo mode for those willing to brave the horrific specimens alone
- Terrifying Zeds – New enemies and fan favorites from the original game are back with expanded and smarter artificial intelligence, dishing out powerful attacks, working as a group to weaken the player’s party and pushing the challenge level and fear factor to new levels
- Unique Blend Of Weaponry – From modern militaristic assault rifles, brutal improvised makeshift weapons, classic historical guns, and off the wall “Mad Scientist” weapons, Killing Floor 2 has a unique blend of killing tools that will satisfy any gamer
- Expanded Perk System – Perks from the original game have been reimagined with more added to the fold. All perks now progress with meaningful talent choices that amplify different play styles, giving players a progression path that is expansive and full of rewarding milestones
- Brutal Melee Combat – Killing Floor 2 reinvents melee combat completely. Players now have control over the type of melee attacks they can perform, enabling them to deliver bone-breaking crippling attacks to Zeds
It certainly sounds interesting. I’m not a fan of Early Access in general though, so I think I’ll wait for the game to release before I decide whether I will be getting it or not.
What about you? Will you be shooting all the things as early as access will allow you, or are you going to wait until the game is in its final form?
Last Updated: April 8, 2015