I spent about 45 hours enslaving Orcs in Shadow of War, having them do my bidding until their ultimate betrayal saw me stabbed in the back. I’ve yet to really put time into the game’s grindy fourth act, and I feel that I’ve had my fill of the game. I had a good time, and I didn’t spend a cent on lootboxes, which is nice.
If you’ve played through Shadow of War, taken on the challenge and repetition of Shadow Wars and still want more, then you’ll be delighted to know that there’s a lot more content coming. Yes, its coming by way of an expansion pass – which is included in the Gold Edition of the game. Warner and Monolith have detailed what’s coming – which may include a few spoilers for those who’ve yet to finish the game.
Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion – Available November 2017
- The gruesome Slaughter tribe invades Mordor introducing new missions, Epic and Legendary Orcs, tribal showdowns and fierce battles, brought to life through the Nemesis System.
- New Slaughter tribe fortress with Overlord throne room, monuments and outposts.
- Players can hunt down Legendary Slaughter tribe Orcs for a new Legendary gear set with additional upgrade challenges.
- Slaughter Orcs are the most bloodthirsty in Mordor, capable of ambushing players at any point, creating a deadly new challenge for players.
Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion – Available December 2017
- The proud Outlaw tribe arise within Mordor introducing new missions, Epic and Legendary Orcs, tribal showdowns and intense battles, brought to life through the Nemesis System.
- New Outlaw tribe fortress with Overlord throne room, monuments and outposts.
- Players can hunt down Legendary Outlaw tribe Orcs for a new Legendary gear set with additional upgrade challenges.
- The Outlaw tribe is home to the most rebellious warriors in Orc society, outcasts who have a deep contempt of all those who would rule them, be they foreign invaders or Lords of Mordor (whether Dark or Bright).
Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion – Available February 2018
- Play as Eltariel, an elite assassin known as the Blade of Galadriel, and go head-to-head with the newest addition to the ranks of the Nazgûl.
- Wield Eltariel’s dual Elven blades and harness the Light of Galadriel with a host of deadly new combat abilities, skills and gear.
- Encounter memorable new Nemesis characters, such as Flint and Tinder and the Slayer of the Dead, while battling the Nazgûl and learning more mysteries of their past.
- Gain eight unique Legendary Orcs who can return to join your forces in the main story campaign with new abilities added to the Nemesis System.
- Unlockable Eltariel character skin for the main story campaign.
Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion – Available May 2018
- Play as Baranor, the Captain of Minas Ithil and survivor of the city’s demise, in a new story expansion where players will command the forces of Man against a new Orc threat to the East.
- Unite with Torvin, the Dwarven Hunter, to craft powerful new combat gear, including the shield, gauntlet, chain and glider.
- Hire mercenaries to create a human army and conquer the all new desert region of Lithlad.
- Fight to survive in Mordor as a human without the power of a Ring or a wraith to cheat death in a new rogue-like campaign mode.
- Unlockable Baranor character skin for the main story campaign.
Shadow of War certainly isn’t for everyone. Like the first game, it’s a little repetitive and its story is ultimately hollow, but it’s a great way to waste time. We quite liked it.
“Middle-Earth: Shadow of War is Lord of the Rings turned up to 11. Improving on nearly every idea from the original Shadow of Mordor game, it’s a gargantuan sequel in both size and scope.”
Last Updated: October 26, 2017