The size of the US market sometimes catches me off guard and today is another one of those moments.
In a PR stunt Nintendo have released the the number of Wiimotes that it has sold in the USA since the Wii was released and the numbers are pretty extraordinary. In total there are 63 500 000 Wiimotes in American households which is 1 1/2 times the South African population and 3 times the Australian one.
The break up of sales is as follows
- 30.41 million included with the Wii hardware
- 18.56 million white versions sold separately
- 12.92 million sold with Wii Play
- 2.44 million black versions sold separately
- 467,500 pink versions sold separately
- 465,200 blue versions sold separately
Added up that makes 65 262 700 which goes to show that either Nintendo can’t count or these figures aren’t exactly accurate. Either way that’s a bucketload of Wiimotes.
Personally I have 4, 2 white and 2 black and 4 nunchucks including a pink one. It’s quite depressing when you start calculating how much you have spent on your hobby.
Last Updated: October 26, 2010