Last week, we told you that there’d be a great big Alpha for the next chapter in Rainbow Six’s history. Of course, right from the beginning, Ubisoft’s registration page had it in great big bold letters saying “AS THE GAME IS STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS, THE CLOSED ALPHA IS EXCLUSIVELY ON PC AND LIMITED TO NORTH AMERICAN AND EUROPEAN PLAYERS.” That said, some thought we might still fall under Europe as we usually do. Ubisoft’s now given out a bit more detail about the alpha, and unfortunately, we South Africans are excluded once again.
Here’s what the new details have to say about the closed alpha:
- How do you choose who is invited to the Closed Alpha?
- Closed Alpha is geographically limited to selected countries from North America and Europe, will be PC-only and the only available language will be English.
- The following countries are eligible to the Closed Alpha :
- United States of America, Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Russia (Western)
See that list of countries? Notice that we’re not on it? Yeah, unfortunately we’re being excluded from this one, much like we were from Evolve’s alphas and betas. Naturally, we’ll try and find way around that, because we also want to shoot bad guys.
There’s a teeny tiny ray of hope for the future though, with Ubisoft adding :
- If you aren’t selected or if your country is currently ineligible for a Closed Alpha invite, please stay tuned as there might be more opportunities to test in the future.
I’m actually quite excited for a new Rainbow Six. I’ve always preferred its more tactical, smart gameplay to the frivolous Bay-esque combat afforded by games like Call of Duty. That said, Siege does seem to borrow a little too heavily from Counter Strike, so we wait in rapt anticipation to play it before we make up our minds.
Last Updated: March 16, 2015