Back in September, Blizzard came out and said that they were looking to do something with Overwatch’s Symmetra. They turned their attention to the turret and teleporter builder not because she was too weak or too strong, but rather, too situational, and they weren’t happy with that.
Now, nearly two months later, we finally know exactly what changes they’ve concocted. Game Director Jeff Kaplan gave a complete breakdown of the new Symmetra in a new Developer Update.
In case you missed it, Symmetra now has two ultimate abilities. Her first is the trusty ol’ teleporter, and the second, a shield generator. The addition of the latter alone will (or at least should) see this hero being picked up a whole lot more.
But that’s not all Blizzard have done with her. They’ve also increased the range of her primary attack (from 5m to 7m), and buffed her turrets (shorter cooldown, more can be carried at a time).
As if that wasn’t already enough, they’ve also removed her Photon Shield (that ability that gives +25 to allies) and replaced it with a new Photon Barrier. Symmetra can now generate a large energy barrier in front of that can move forward and stop enemy fire. Eat your heart out, Reinhardt.
So, to sum all the changes up:
- Photon Barrier:
- Replaces her existing Photon Shield ability
- Generates a large energy barrier in front of Symmetra that blocks enemy fire as it travels forward
- Shield Generator (New Ultimate Ability):
- Symmetra’s Ultimate ability now offers a choice between her Teleporter and a new option: Shield Generator
- Shield Generator places a device that grants additional shields to any ally within the its effective radius, regardless of barriers, walls, or obstacles between heroes and the Shield Generator
Photon Projector (Primary Fire)
- Range has been increased from 5 meters to 7 meters
- Number of turrets that can be carried has been increased from 3 turrets to 6 turrets
- Cooldown has been reduced from 12 seconds to 10 seconds
- Decreased health from 200 to 50
- Increased shields from 0 to 350
- Replaced with the new Photon Barrier ability
Those are some pretty epic adjustments! If you’d like to mess around with them, you can right this second thanks to the latest PTR patch. If you’d rather wait, don’t worry, it won’t be too long before we see the new Symmetra added to the main client. She should be out in the next week or two.
What do you think of all her changes? Too strong? Not enough? Personally, I think they’re spot on. I loved Symmetra just as she was, but I would never say no to a host of important buffs![Update] Here’s some video footage of the new upgrades
Last Updated: November 23, 2016
November 23, 2016 at 09:48
Umm yea, Symmetra was already very versatile. I feel there are other champs who would much rather benefit from a buff than Symmetra.