It’s been a good, long time since I found myself addicted to Minecraft. Years ago, I used to spend hour upon hour in the block-punching simulator, often going to bed only when the sun came up. And then, I stopped.
For me, Minecraft became a little too complex. Mojang introduced extra depth to the game, like alchemy for example, along with The End – an alternate dimension containing an ender dragon.
It was good fun, yes, but I ended up spending more time in Minecraft Wikis than I did actually playing the game. It proved to be too time consuming, so I moved on. I’ve never felt the urge to go back, till now.
Patch 1.9 for Minecraft is out, and it introduces some really cool stuff to the game – focusing mostly on combat. Here are all the changes (via PC Gamer):
- Added shields
- Attacking now has a “cool-down” delay, making it more important to time your attacks
- You can now hold items in both hands (default quick key to swap items is ‘F’)
- Swords have a special sweep attack
- Axes have a special crushing blow attack
- Added the elytra
- New mob: Shulker
- Expanded The End
- Added Chorus plants
- New Purpur blocks
- New End Rod block
- Added dragon head block
- Ender Dragon can be resummoned
- Added beetroot and beetroot soup (from MC:PE)
- Added grass path block
- Added igloos
- Armor protection values have been lowered
- Added tipped arrows
- Added spectral arrows
- Added Frost Walker enchantment and frosted ice block
- Added a whole bunch of new sound effects
- Added sound effect subtitles
- Brewing Stand now requires Blaze Powder to activate
- Added skeleton riders
- We believe we’ve fixed MC-10 and a whole bunch of other issues
- Removed Herobrine
What caught my attention first was the fact that dual wielding is now a thing. Having the ability to hold two weapons at the same time makes everything twice as nice. Trust me, I’m a gaming journalist!
There’s also a new cape. It isn’t listed in the patch notes above, but does feature the header image. It’ll allow you to actually freaking fly! Here’s what it looks like in action…
Yeah, that looks like a bunch of fun. I think it’s time I dived back into Minecraft. All I need now is time, and lots of it!
Last Updated: March 1, 2016
Captain JJ the "saviour"
March 1, 2016 at 10:01
I should try Minecraft.