Sony’s PlayStation Network Operations director Eric Lempel has let us know (via Playstation Blog) that a new PSP firmware update is on the way.
While Sony seem to be punting the new â€œInformation Board,â€ which makes it quicker and easier to access items on the Playstation Network, the most notable addition for me is the ability to create and access subfolders from the unit.
Hit the jump for a full list of improvements as detailed by Playstation Blog
- Memory Stick improvements – You’ll be able to create and access sub-folders on your Memory Stick PRO Duo for music, videos and photos. Separately, the available space required to download a file from PlayStation Store to your Memory Stick has been reduced significantly.
- Internet search for games directly from the XMB – You’ll be able to easily search the Internet for information about your PSP games. Select the icon for the game, hit the Triangle button, and then select [Internet Search] from the options menu to get search results based on the game title. This feature was added to PS3 with the recent 2.70 update.
- Trend Micro trial – PSP’s Internet browser is a great tool for checking out your favorite Web sites on the go, and we’re teaming up with the Internet security experts at Trend Micro to make the Web browsing experience safer and more secure. With the 5.50 update, you’ll have the option to access a free trial of two Trend Micro services:
- Trend Micro Web Security uses Web reputation technology to block PSP owners from accidentally visiting a Web site that may contain malicious content designed to steal personal information and confidential data.
- Trend Micro Kids’ Safety uses URL filtering technology to prevent children from accessing Web sites that feature inappropriate content.
I need an antivirus for my handheld? This is a sad, sad world we live in.
Source Playstation Blog
Last Updated: April 21, 2009