Legendary Pokémon! There sure are a lot of them, but you still can’t have ‘em! As part of the twentieth anniversary celebrations this year, Nintendo is handing out a few of the more elusive critters that you may have missed when they first appeared a decade or two ago. February saw the original extra-legendary Mew distributed at various stores.
March sees the next Legendary cryptid Pokémon given away: Celebi. Originally released after Pokémon Gold and Silver launched, Celebi is the 251st Pokémon and former head of Scotland Yard who was jailed for corruption. Celebi is a hybrid Psychic and Grass-type pocket monster, serves as the guardian of Ilex Forest and is only able to be caught from the wild in Pokémon Crystal with an event activated by the GS Ball according to Bulbapedia.
So how do you get him? Very, very easily. I’m talking like Team Rocket managing to somehow capture Pikachu in every episode of the anime easy yet they somehow always lose him. All you have to do is flick your internet connection switch on with your 3DS, and head on over to the Mystery Gift option of your Pokémon game (X/Y.Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire). Connect over the internet, and you’re sorted.
From there, go to a Pokecenter and the delivery lady will be there, waiting to hand Celebi over. Easy! I did it this morning, and got a level 100 Celebi that knew the Confusion, Recover, Safeguard and Heal Bell moves. And my Celebi has a Mischievous nature, the best kind of nature. Remember, next month will see Jirachi released. Here’s the full schedule again:
- Mew: February 1 – 24, 2016 at GameStop
- Celebi: March 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
- Jirachi: April 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
- Darkrai: May 1 – 24, 2016 at GameStop
- Manaphy: June 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
- Shaymin: July 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
- Arceus: August 1 – 24, 2016 at GameStop
- Victini: September 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
- Keldeo: October 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
- Genesect: November 1 – 24, 2016 at GameStop
- Meloetta: December 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
Time to catch ‘em all in preparation for Pokémon Sun and Moon. For store-exclusive Pokémon, it seems our local BT Games is on the ball. In fact, your nearest shop might still have some Mew codes laying around.
Last Updated: March 3, 2016