Home Gaming Rumour: Kinect has a 2% failure rate

Rumour: Kinect has a 2% failure rate

1 min read
19

Sorry.. it's a slow news day

The original Xbox 360 was renowned for its incredible failure rate of around 54% which forced Microsoft into a billion dollar warranty extension to save the division. So when the Xbox One was announced and released all eyes were on the hardware failure rate.

And maybe not surprisingly the failure rate has been very low. Microsoft obviously learned their lesson from the Xbox 360 issues with this generation as the Xbox One failure rate, while not revealed yet, appears to be very low.

Now according to adhoc reports on Neogaf the reported failure rate of the Kinect device is now sitting at 2% which is well under the normal electronic failure rate of 5%.

What is interesting however is that the Xbox One was originally going to be released where the Kinect would be a mandatory piece of equipment for the running of the Xbox One. If that policy had stayed then the Kinect’s 2% failure added to the Xbox One’s likely 2% failure rate would have combined for a 4% failure rate and the anti-fanboys would have gone mad.

So what happens if your brand new Xbox One or Kinect dies on you? Well all you have to do is register the problem online, send the broken unit back to Microsoft and they will ship a working one back to you.

Unfortunately though at the moment there is a 4 week back log so it will be a while before your Xbox One can recognise you again.

Last Updated: March 27, 2014

19 Comments

  1. Spathi

    March 27, 2014 at 10:35

    And a 100% suck rate! Boooooom! 😛

    2% is very low, good job MS.

    Reply

    • Kensei Seraph

      March 27, 2014 at 10:43

      Not even the high-class girls you bring home have a 100% suck rate.

      Xbone suck rate is more like 87%

      Reply

      • Spathi

        March 27, 2014 at 10:50

        Was referring to the Kinect! And you’d be surprised about those high class girls 😛

        Reply

        • VampyreSquirrel

          March 27, 2014 at 10:52

          You know high class girls?

          Reply

          • Spathi

            March 27, 2014 at 10:53

            Ouch 🙁

            PS:that would depend on whether you would classify your mom as high class? 😛

          • Gr8_Balls_o_Fire

            March 27, 2014 at 14:14

            Be nice. We’re here to bash kinect

          • Admiral Chief of Auraxis

            March 27, 2014 at 10:56

            Perhaps his credit card does?

  2. VampyreSquirrel

    March 27, 2014 at 10:38

    LOL! Kinect dies, send back, Xbone doesn’t work for 4+ weeks, get Kinect back, DOA, send back to M$………

    Reply

  3. Rince

    March 27, 2014 at 10:40

    And then it gets stolen in the post…

    Reply

    • Admiral Chief of Auraxis

      March 27, 2014 at 10:42

      #LovelyInSA

      Reply

      • HvR

        March 27, 2014 at 11:18

        Well since you reside in an “unknown” country you won’t have a guarantee in any case.

        Reply

  4. FoxOneZA

    March 27, 2014 at 10:57

    Official: Nobody gives squat about Kinect!

    Reply

  5. Sir Rants A Lot Llew. Jelly!!!

    March 27, 2014 at 11:02

    That’s actually impressive. Any stats on what the PS4 failure rates are?

    Reply

    • HvR

      March 27, 2014 at 11:26

      Around 1%, but to early to call for design errors. This is mostly out of the box/production errors and since Foxconn is doing the majority of the production for both it should be similar.

      EDIT:
      Same time in their product timelines the 360 and PS3 failure rates was around 3%, the brown stuff hit the fan about a year to 2 years after release when design problems due to heat dissipation became apparent.

      Reply

      • Sir Rants A Lot Llew. Jelly!!!

        March 27, 2014 at 14:38

        Ah cool. Thanx for the info man

        Reply

  6. Hammersteyn

    March 27, 2014 at 11:20

    Fighter Within or any other game that doesn’t work with Kinect is obviously not part of this 2%. The device obliviously works so people are just to stupid to code for the Kinect

    Reply

  7. DrKiller

    March 27, 2014 at 11:37

    That awkward moment when you live in SA, trying to send the Kinect back and M$ is all like “hmm.. the Xbox One is not sold in SA.. We can’t help you”

    Reply

  8. Pieter Kruger

    March 27, 2014 at 15:55

    The Kinect’s PS…sorry “IR” Blaster alone makes it worth it!! ????

    Reply

  9. A 2 Cthulhu?

    March 27, 2014 at 18:10

    There’s not enough machine in the Xbone to warrant any failures. It just lacks the performance, hence that fact is the real failure here.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Check Also

Microsoft unveils the future of the Kinect as an AI-powered PC peripheral

The Kinect struggled to gain traction in the gaming market, but has found some big usage i…