Microsoft’s Xbox Live Summer of Arcade is an annual showcase of some of the best downloadable games available for the service. It’s given us such brilliant jewels as Braid, Castle Crashers, Shadow Complex, Limbo and most recently, Bastion and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.
Sony seems to want some of that action, because they’ve announced a similar promotion for PlayStation 3 owners.
Unlike XBLA’s Summer of Arcade though, none of the titles on offer this time around are exclusive to the system – but they do come with some interesting bonuses if you pre-order them or buy them on day one. â€œPre-order a digital title?â€ I hear you say with screwed, questioning faces. Yup, there’s a new button on the PS store that you can press to digital promise you’ll buy the game when it becomes available. As an extra bonus, all PS Plus members will get a 20% discount on the highlighted games.
Here are the games on offer :
- August 23: Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition – This highly-anticipated action-fighting title from Capcom features 20 playable characters, HD graphics, more than 200 pieces of unlockable content, more than 100 trials and more than 100 challenges. When Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition is purchased through PLAY, purchasers will be able to unlock GILL, the self-proclaimed god, without having to beat the game with every character, as day-one DLC.Â Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition will be $14.99 and will be available for pre-order through August 18. The independent Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) rates Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition “T” for “TEEN.”
- August 30: The Baconing – The latest action-RPG title from Hothead Games features the popular hero, DeathSpank, in an attempt to defeat the Anti-Spank and his army of Cyborques before they cast an evil shadow over Spanktopia. Discover exciting new worlds and battle hordes of enemies as you search to unlock the secret within the Fires of Bacon. When The Baconing is purchased through PLAY, purchasers will receive an additional co-op character, Roesha – One Bad Mutha. The Baconing will be $14.99 and will be available for pre-order through August 25.Â The independent Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) rates The Baconing “T” for “TEEN.”
- September 6: BloodRayne: Betrayalâ„¢ – This 2D side-scrolling platformer from Majesco Entertainment features 15 bloodthirsty levels where Rayne attempts to infiltrate a treacherous castle, take out a fiendish horde and stop an evil vampire massacre. When BloodRayne: Betrayal is purchased through PLAY, purchasers will receive a BloodRayne: Betrayal virtual item for their PlayStationÂ®Home avatar and an exclusive dynamic theme. BloodRayne: Betrayal will be $14.99 and will be available for pre-order through September 1.Â The independent Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) rates BloodRayne: Betrayal “T” for “TEEN.”
- September 13: Renegade Ops – This top-down, driving shooter from SEGA features a huge variety of vehicles, guns and endless enemies. The game features Sandbox-style missions, so there are many different ways to play. When Renegade Ops is purchased through PLAY, purchasers will receive a Vehicle & Character Pack with two new vehicles and special weapons. Renegade Ops will be $14.99 and will be available for pre-order through September 8. The independent Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) rates Renegade Ops “RP” for “Rating Pending.”
Just like summer of Arcade, buying all of the games on offer gets you a whole game for free! Your gift for this year’s PLAY?
- PAYDAY: The Heist – This gritty, first-person shooter from Sony Online Entertainment lets players take on the role of a hardened career criminal executing intense, dynamic heists in constant pursuit of the next “big score.” A voucher code for PAYDAY: The Heist will be provided as a bonus gift to players, ages 18 and older, that purchased all four PLAY titles, for redemption when the game releases.Â The game can also be pre-ordered separately starting September 20, 2011. PAYDAY: The Heist will be $19.99. The independent Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) rates PAYDAY: The Heist “RP” for “Rating Pending.”
What do you think? Interested in pic king any of those up? I’m terribly excited for the 2D, Castelvania-esque rebirth of BloodRayne and well, more Deathspank. There’s a time when I would have snapped up theÂ Street Fighter III in an instant – but that time is long passed.
Last Updated: August 8, 2011