Home Gaming Strikes, sub-classes and artifacts get detailed in Destiny: The Taken King

Strikes, sub-classes and artifacts get detailed in Destiny: The Taken King

2 min read


Another Thursday, another wrap-up of new Destiny facts! Also, there’s no use running, I’ve already locked the door, barred the windows and swallowed the keys. You’re my wives now, suckers!



Yesterday’s stream of The Taken King was spent exploring a new Strike in Destiny, the Shield Brothers. Strikes have usually had a simple setup: Grab some friends, hit the quest and spend around 20 minutes or so battling your way to a boss fight encounter and praying that the random number generator would shower you with decent loot.

In The Taken King however, Bungie is going to be mixing the Strike formula up a bit. Shield Brothers takes place in the new Dreadnaught zone that belongs to Oryx, and focuses on a Cabal invasion of the ship.

The ultimate aim of this Strike, is to take out two Cabal commanders, Valus Mau’ual and Valus Tlu’urn. But don’t expect enemy encounters to be the same every time a Strike is activated. We wanted to make that experience less static,” said design lead for Strikes, James Tsai.

“All the strikes now have several combat setups” that feature  different enemies, dialogue and alternative enemy spawn locations. According to Tsai, this new setup would “bring more personality” to the bosses of Destiny‘s strikes,making those battles more than just a game of finding a cover spot and laying down a supressing volley of rockets.

“They’re not just going to be, like, big versions of dudes that you’ve already shot a thousand times in that strike,” Tsai said.

We don’t want them to just be a poopy bag of hit points.

Strikes will also have better loot rewarded to players, with exclusive gear as an incentive that shows other players that you’ve defeated said boss.



Prepare to hunt for even more gear, Guardian. The Taken King will add a new slot to your inventory, where players can equip fabled artifacts. Essentially trinkets that that improve character abilities and aspects, artifacts can buff stats such as discipline, strength and intelligence.

Artifacts can also increase your defense when equipped, while adding other abilities such as spawning super energy for your Guardian’s specific sub-class.



New details were also revealed for the three new Guardian sub-classes; Stormcaller, Nightstalker and Sunbreaker. We’ve already covered those new classes and skills in a previous article, so rather than just retype everything, I’ll leave a refresher link to that post right here. Obligatory shilling of previous work, hoooooooooo!

And that’s it for this week, with the main points already covered. The Taken King launches September 15. Hopefully I’ll be seeing a lot of new Kinderguardians, and I say welcome to you! Now avert your gaze, as my magnificent level 34 form hovers past you!


Last Updated: August 27, 2015


  1. I haven’t yet played Destiny, is it worth getting with our inet connections being slightly shocking? That is the only thing that has put me off from buying this game for my PS4.


    • Hammersteyn

      August 27, 2015 at 10:11

      All depends on your internet. Some days I constantly find myself rebooting my router while other days there are zero issues.


      • schitsophrenic-toothbrush

        August 27, 2015 at 10:29

        I have a 4mb line from telkom. Don’t really have issues however I dont normally play online games, normally stream or download random shit


        • Hammersteyn

          August 27, 2015 at 12:16

          Also rocking a 4mb line. But you’ll need to set a static IP address on your PS4 and enabled DMZ on your router or port forwarding


      • Ir0nseraph

        August 27, 2015 at 19:25

        Lies the day you have zero issues, is the day I get booted on the last mission of prison of elders 😛
        Love the game but make peace with the fact that sometimes a baboon will get you 🙂


        • Hammersteyn

          August 28, 2015 at 07:53

          I had four days straight with no issues two weeks ago. Baboon is the worst name they could have given an error.


    • Dawid Eduard Roestorf

      August 27, 2015 at 12:42

      Also run a 4mb line, through mweb. 90% of the time I have no issues at all. The remaining 10% is because of MWEB, ARGH!!. But overall, I can honestly say gaming is fine here.


  2. Hammersteyn

    August 27, 2015 at 10:10

    LOL Skeletor!


  3. Dawid Eduard Roestorf

    August 27, 2015 at 12:41

    @Darryn, you do realize that the details revealed last night changes the subclasses as we heard about them earlier this month?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Destiny 2: Season of the Splicer kicks off on May 11

The Vex have plunged the Last City into an endless night, threatening the safety once foun…