The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) have awards every year and they’re one of the few mainstream organizations to recognize achievements in gaming. Winning games get a ton of attention, but it’s not just about the exposure. It’s great to see game developers recognized and winning little statues for their incredible creations. This year’s BAFTAs gave recognition to a wide variety of games, but its biggest awards raised some eyebrows.
Here is the full list of winners as reported by the BBC:
- Best game: Destiny (Bungie)
- British game: Monument Valley (Ustwo)
- Debut game: Never Alone (Upper One Games)
- Story: The Last of Us: Left Behind (Naughty Dog)
- Performer: Ashley Johnson for The Last of Us: Left Behind
- Artistic achievement: Lumino City (State of Play)
- Audio achievement: Alien Isolation (The Creative Assembly)
- Family game: Minecraft (console editions) (Mojang/4J Studios)
- Game design: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Monolith Productions)
- Game innovation: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (The Astronauts)
- Mobile and handheld game: Monument Valley (Ustwo)
- Multiplayer game: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (Blizzard Entertainment)
- Music: Far Cry 4 (Cliff Martinez, Tony Gronick and Jerome Angelot)
- Original property: Valiant Hearts (Ubisoft Studios)
- Persistent game: League of Legends (Riot Games)
- Sport game: OlliOlli (Roll7)
- Ones to watch: Chambara (Overly Kinetic)
- Bafta fellowship: David Braben, of Frontier Developments
Ashley Johnson beat out Kevin Spacey for the best performance – it’s her second time grabbing this award for The Last of Us. Monument Valley snagged a whole bunch of awards, and Alien Isolation picked up its expected kudos for audio achievement. The big surprise of the night came in the best game category. Destiny won the award despite being up against games like Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mario Kart 8, Shadow of Mordor, and Alien: Isolation. What were the judges thinking? Destiny has some cool elements and is all about potential, but I wouldn’t give it this award over those other contenders. No way!
Do you agree with these awards or do you think someone was drinking too much of the Activision kool-aid?
Last Updated: March 13, 2015