Yesterday, Geoff told you that The Evil Within was coming in August and was looking good, but not too scary. Now I’m here to tell you that everything he said yesterday was a lie. Okay, not everything, but the date part, and maybe the not being scary part.
Instead of releasing in August, Bethesda has now announced that The Evil Within will only launch in October – the 21st in North America, 23rd in Australia and we get it with Europe on 24 October. If you choose to pre-order the game, you get The Fighting Chance Pack, which might give you a better shot at survival. It includes:
- Medical Kit – A vital health enhancement to enable Sebastian to fight on.
- Green Gel – Used to upgrade Sebastian’s attributes.
- Double Barrel Shotgun and Three Shells – A larger and more formidable shotgun than the regular shotgun, it’s useful for tight situations with multiple encroaching enemies.
- An Incendiary Agony Bolt – Capable of showering nearby enemies with damaging fire sparks.
- A Poison Agony Bolt – Will draw enemies towards it and poison them, allowing Sebastian time for a quick escape.
As for the “is it scary” claim, here’s a video of people getting grossed out and terrified while playing. I think I’ll probably be closer to the one sitting there with eyes wide open rather than the screaming, but you never know.
I’m happy to see the return of survival horror – indie games proved it’s still a viable genre, and it would be nice to see big studios show off how it can be done with a proper budget. I don’t mind this slight delay – it seems more fitting to play The Evil Within around Halloween when everyone is horror obsessed anyway. Let’s just hope that the extra time also ensures they tweak the game and make it that much better, instead of just spending the coming months building the hype.
Last Updated: May 28, 2014