This week in a town called Little Rock in Arkansas ( pronounced: Ar – kan – saw) a fire was reported at the home of one Carl Olson.
Once the fire had been dealt with and the investigation team was able to do what they do best, they found that the fire had originated from the powercord of an Xbox 360. The console was sitting very close to a wall, preventing it from getting proper ventilation for heat dissipation and extraction. There’s a twist to the story as well, the owner of the console mentioned that the console had the Red Rings of Death and was aware that it had to be sent in to be repaired, but still left the console plugged in.
This has caused a small concern amongst owners of Microsoft’s console, as many people leave their consoles plugged in every single day while they are out of the house. This isn’t the first time that something like this has happened either, in 2005, a law suit was filed against Microsoft for a fire that claimed the life of an infant, as well as a separate case of a Texan teen who suffered burns.
Microsoft says that the risk of a scenario such as this one is 1 in 10, 000 but recommends that you unplug your Xbox when you aren’t home. That’s a little scary.
Granted, the chances of something like this happening to anyone are incredibly slim, but it still makes me feel a little uneasy to know that my Console could go all Johnny Cash on me at any moment, especially when I’m not home.
I still however, don’t think that it is such a great idea to leave your console plugged into the power socket long after the three red lights on the front notified you of an overheating problem.
So what do you think? Was the fire started by the console, or the negligent owner?
Last Updated: April 21, 2008