Rockstar over at theÂ Xbox 360 forums has put together a very niceÂ run down of what you need to do if your Xbox gives you any trouble…
Ok, it’s a couple of easy steps:
1. Try to load another disk/game, and see if the problem persists.
2. If it does, remove the harddrive, and see if the problem still occurs. If problem is resolved with HDD removed, it could be that your profile’s been corrupted, or the HDD is faulty. Just to check, delete profile on the HDD, and try again.
3. Ok, so you’ve tried these steps, and the problem still occurs.
Firstly, gather all the info on the side of your console.
These are serial number, product id, and manufacturing date. They could also ask what the purchase date and retailer was. Get a pen and some paper, since you’ll be writing soon.
4. Now, call Xbox Help Centre on 0800 991 550.
Write down the name of the person you are speaking to for safety and reference if needed.
The operator will ask a couple of questions….name, address, bla bla bla… If you want to keep your harddrive, mention it to the operator. It is not a problem, and you have the right to keep your HDD, but tell the operator!!! They log the calls, so if your retailer has a problem with you keeping the HDD, just tell the guy to phone the help centre to get confirmation. I’ve heard of places that give you trouble with the HDD issue.
5. The operator will supply you with with a reference number. Write it down!!!!
6. Take the console (entire box with everything in as you bought it is better. If there was a game with it, like the GOW bundle, take the game too!!!) back to the retailer. They will ask you for the reference number. And bob’s your uncle, NEW console.
Please note that, if your console’s been modded in any way, like flashed or chipped, and as a result banned from xbox live, you wont be able to get a reference code, since the serial number will show up on their system as banned.
LASTLY, dont stress. It is a simple process, and my experience was quite painless. One phone call and it’s sorted!
Source: Xbox 360 – South African Community Website â€º Forums â€º The Lounge â€º Xbox 360 Technical Help â€º What to do when your Xbox gives you trouble
Last Updated: May 22, 2007