Before anyone complains yes it is a slow news day ;).
Anyway back to my favourite pet hate, the ongoing format war between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. A blog on scifi.com has put together a nice list of the current points in the format war and why it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
1. Neither format matters really, it’s about getting consumers to drop DVD that really matters.
2. Toshiba has released a sub $1000 HD-DVD burner which gives it the edge in the home data storage market.
3. HD-DVD’s new U-Shop gives it yet another boost
4. Dual-format players are helping the losing side by keeping them functional.
5. Ever heard of HD-VMD? They seem to be a very compelling competitor
6. The rumour is that Microsoft may be dragging this war out to be the first to offer downloads as a viable alternative.
One thing is for certain though, Blu-Rays claims that the war would be over by this Christmas have been far of the mark. I don’t expect this war to end until after next Christmas at the earliest. Which is good news for all the PS3 owners out there who could have ended up with a lemon on their hands.
Peer Review: Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Format war intensifies with PlayStation announcements and holiday rumors
Last Updated: October 22, 2007