If there’s one place where it’s not advisable to shout “Frag da police!”, it’s got to be in online gaming. That’s an arena that is rife with all kinds of abuse, from yo momma taunts straight through to mind-staggeringly disgusting racism and sexism. Call of Duty Black Ops 2 is going to be a bit stricter on that issue this year, and they’ve got a list of infractions that will get your account Mjolnired if they’re breached.
Treyarch says that the following infractions are all subject to a “thorough review process” before enforcing, and that a “penalty is not subject to further review”, according to the Call of Duty community site.
As usual, punishments range from a standard 48 hour ban, through to a two week period and a “lasting and final” perma-ban of necessary. “A minor offense is one in which no quantifiable damage has been done to another user or the game community at large. An extreme offense is one in which a player has caused detriment to other users or has organized large groups of users to commit additional offenses,” Treyarch explained.
Here’s the full list;
- Modding / Hacking: Any user who runs a modified version of game code or uses a modified game profile is subject to penalty.
- Pirated Content: Any user who illegally acquires Call of Duty: Black Ops II content is subject to penalty.
- Unsupported Peripheral Devices and Applications: Any user who utilizes an unsupported external hardware device or application to interact with the game is subject to penalty. Unsupported peripheral devices and applications include but are not limited to modded controllers, IP flooders and lag switches.
- Boosting: Any user who colludes with another user to exploit the game for the purpose of gaining XP, prestige, game score, weapon level, or in-game unlock is subject to penalty.
- Glitching: Any user who abuses an exploit in game code or other established rule of play is subject to penalty. An example includes but is not limited to using a hole in the map geo to intentionally go outside of the map boundary.
- Offensive Behaviour: Any user who is found to use aggressive, offensive, derogatory or racially charged language is subject to penalty.
- Offensive Emblems: Any user who creates an emblem with sexually gratuitous images, racially offensive material or foul language is subject to penalty.
- Offensive Live Streams or Unauthorized Live Stream Content: Any user who is found to have offensive or unauthorized content in their live stream is subject to penalty. Offensive content includes but is not limited to foul language, racially charged language, and nudity. Unauthorized content includes but is not limited to unlicensed music, TV shows, movies and brand logos.
Sounds about right to me. Although personally, I would love to see a punishment that involves an actual Black Ops 2 strike force breaking into a house and inflicting “penalties” on those damn prepubescent players who scream at everyone to only use sniper rifles during matches.
And hoo boy, don’t even get me started on my ideas for people who exploit the hell out of the melee attack…
Last Updated: November 12, 2012