Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Wes Anderson is a genre unto himself. A genre that apparently can be replicated quite easily based on this safe for work porn parody, The Grand Sausage Pizza.
- As we learnt last year, the heat will soon be back on, on the street, and now we know exactly when to expect this rise in urban temperature as Paramount has dated the upcoming Jerry Bruckheimer produced Beverly Hills Cop 4 for release on March 15 2016. The new film, which has Brett Ratner attached to direct with Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol‘s Andre Nemec and Josh Applebaum scripting, will once again see Eddie Murphy reprise his role as motormouth Detroit cop Axel Foley, but its unknown if this will be a straight up sequel or reboot of some kind. A Beverly Hills Cop TV series had been in development until last year, which would have seen Murphy pass the torch to his son, played by Brandon T. Murphy. CBS passed on the series though, which prompted Bruckheimer to pursue a fourth feature film.
- Posters of the day: The Terminator
- Do you have a large Blu Ray collection? If so, take exceptionally good care of it, it may soon become a collector’s item as apparently Blu Ray is dying.
- All these people making all this fuss about Star Wars’ lack of racial and gender diversity clearly just haven’t realized that there are in fact no humans in that universe, and that all the white males are just part of a race of sentient hive insects living under a single queen.
- There’s a lot you can fault The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for (trust me, Nick tried to get them all!), but if there’s one aspect where Marc Webb’s superhero sequel simply excels is that the Spider-Man looks like he jumped straight off the comic page. A lot of that has to do with the incredible VFX work Sony did to create a digital Spidey that looks, moves and sounds exactly how fans have been imagining him for years (Warning: This featurette contains some spoilers for the movie).
- If you haven’t noticed from the moody and atmospheric trailers, the new Godzilla is a different film to Roland Emmerich’s bombastic 90’s version. Director Gareth Edwards spoke to Total Film about the monster movie’s more subdued tone (and please note: I am not referring to Godzilla’s toned abs).
“It’s given when you’ve got Godzilla that you’re gonna have this giant, crazy spectacle..
“But to me, the carnage and desutrction are utterly pointless unless you care about the outcome, and you care about the people. It was like, ‘Let’s treat this like a really serious drama,’ so I had to get the best actors.”
- Look, when you’re both Daredevil and Batman, you pick up some skills that puts you above regular folk. Unfortunately for Ben Affleck, somebody noticed these skills of his as the Oscar winning director/actor has been banned for life from the high roller blackjack tables at Hard Rock casino in Las Vegas, after being caught by the casino’s security cameras counting cards.
The casino was friendly towards the actor, but reportedly told him that he was “too good at this game” and “deemed an advantaged player”. He’s the goddamn Batman, of course he’s advantaged!
- No Xbox One? No problem! If you were afraid that you would be missing out on the new Halo series that Microsoft was developing with exec producer Steven Spielberg to be aired exclusively on MS’ next gen gaming console, well then you’re in for some good news as that exclusivity has just dropped down a notch. Xbox Entertainment Studios are reportedly deep in negotiations with US network Showtime to also air the series, with episodes bowing on the TV network first before showing up on the console platform with enhanced digital interactivity soon thereafter. The company is also close to finalizing a deal with a pair of showrunners who will be guiding the series based on an expansive show bible compiled by screenwriter Stuart Beattie (Pirates of the Carribean, I, Frankenstein, Tomorrow When the War Began).
- Hodor! Hodor hodor hodor. Big penis. HODOR!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: May 5, 2014