Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- I hate Adam Sandler movies. Most of you hate Adam Sandler movies. And you know who else hates them? The people who make Adam Sandler movies. Internal documents leaked onto the internet due to the Sony hack – which is really turning into the gift that keeps on giving – reveal that the studio themselves are fully aware of not just how crap Sandler’s movies are, but also how he’s getting rich off them with them, and they really wish they could just end their business relationship with him. Also, they may make the world’s worst Powerpoint presentations.
- Do you guys know that song? Y’know, that song from that movie! Oh trust me, you know the song, we’ve all heard it like a bajillion times!
- A movie is being made about US President Barack Obama’s first date with his wife Michelle, because of course it is.
- Not a fan of what Gareth Edwards did with Godzilla in this year’s big US remake? Well, then maybe you’ll be interested to learn that a new Japanese Godzilla movie is on the way, courtesy of long-time franchise stewards Toho Studios. The Japanese studio’s last effort starring everybody’s favourite radioactive halitosis victim was 2004’s Godzilla: Final Wars, which was admittedly a giant pile of lizard poop.
- Poster of the day: Blade Runner
- Burt Reynolds, he of the legendary moustache, smokies and bandits, is holding an auction to sell a bunch of his personal belongings, including a stuffed bear, a dressing gown, a canoe that doesn’t float, lots of guns, leather chaps and an autographed picture of the cast of Friends. Really.
- These 5 new pics from upcoming earthquake thriller San Andreas prove two things: 1) Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is still a walking mountain of muscle, and 2) when he sticks his finger in your ear, you damn well better just smile and pretend like you’re enjoying it.
- We’ve seen quite a few parodies of the trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but this weekend past the folks at SNL got to give us their own version when James Franco dropped by to host. And after seeing this, I’m not so sure about bringing back the “old” cast anymore.
- The upcoming Walking Dead companion/spinoff show apparently has the working title of Cobalt, which of course relates to… to… well, it’s about…. hmmm…. Okay, I got nothing except that cobalt ore has the atomic number of 27. I’m pretty sure that does not shed any light on the show in any way. More helpful though could be the fact that Cliff Curtis (The Last Airbender, Colombiana, Body of Lies) has been cast in the show, playing a what is more than likely the series’ lead in Sean Cabrera, “a good man trying to do right by everyone in his life.” Joining him will also be Frank Dillane (Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince) and Alycia Debnam Carey (Into The Storm), who play the kids of a female guidance counselor, believed to be the show’s female lead.
- Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new winner! Or loser! Kirk Cameron, the ex-80’s sitcom star who has made a career over the last few years making nothing but faith-based flicks, now has a new claim to fame. His latest flick, the comedy Saving Christmas in which Cameron plays himself, trying to teach his brother-in-law about Christmas’ biblical origins, is now officially the worst rated movie on IMDB. Just like pretty much most of Cameron’s work, the movie was savaged by critics, but generally his faith-based message garners gets him in the good books with enough of a general audience. That doesn’t appear to be the case this time, as Saving Christmas could only squeak to a rating of 1.3, earning it the top spot on IMDB’s Worst 100 Movies.
- It’s still some time before we can see Tom Hardy strap some laser pointers to his forehead for Splinter Cell, the Doug Liman directed adaptation of the popular video game franchise, so until then we’re just going to have to content ourselves with this really cool little fan film.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: December 8, 2014