Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Thanks to some very crafty interview skills, we now know not only the correct pronunciation of Oscar Isaac’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens character’s name, but also that SPOILER ALERT he has legs!
- Just in case you were wondering, these are Guardians of the Galaxy writer-director James Gunn’s favourite movies of 2014.
- A short while back some names of young actors/actresses were tossed out as possible casting choices to play young Scott Summers aka Cyclops and Jean Grey in the upcoming 1980’s set X-Men: Apocalypse. Apparently Chloe Moretz was offered the part of young Jean Grey, but turned it down due to scheduling. Now Fox has apparently added Sophie Turner (Game of Thrones), Saoirse Ronan (Hanna, Atonement) into the mix with previously-rumoured Elle Fanning and Hailee Steinfeld, while on the Cyclopean side, Timothee Chalamet (Interstellar, Men, Women & Children), Ben Hardy (EastEnders) and Charlie Rowe (Red Band Society) now find themselves sharing a shortlist with Taron Edgerton (Kingsman: The Secret Service), Jamie Blackley (If I Stay, Snow White and the Huntsman) and Tye Sheridan (Mud, Joe). According to some insider buzz, Sheridan is currently the frontrunner.
Latino Review also add that Zendaya Coleman (Disney Channel’s KC Undercover) and Alexandra Shipp (Lifetime’s Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B) are in contention for the role of a young Ororo Munroe aka Storm.
- Of course there’s a mashup trailer for Star Wars: The Phantom Menace and Mad Max: Fury Road. Of course.
- After thinking I head some of Brad Fiedel’s theme for The Terminator in that new Chappie trailer, I went to listen to it online and then stumbled across this (admittedly old) really intriguing article about the piece of music all about how the time signature for Fidel’s music was a complete mystery for the longest time. Music geeks will get a special kick out of this one, but I highly recommend that all movie buffs give it a read as well.
- We’ve already checked out the trailer and seen some images for Marvel’s Ant-Man, but how about a few more? Images, that is. Especially ones that also give us a concept art look at Corey Stoll’s villainous Yellowjacket suit.
- Poster of the Day: Batkid Begins by Drew Struzan
- And as if there was ever any doubt, CW’s breakout smash hit The Flash has been officially renewed for a second season, alongside its sister show Arrow, which will be back for a fourth outing. The two DC Comics based series were part of 8 TV shows renewed by CW, the rest being Jane the Virgin (which just picked up a Golden Globe), Vampire Diaries, The 100, The Originals, Reign and Supernatural.
- If somebody can just make an official Star Wars anime that would be great, thanks.
- At least one good thing has come from the leaked emails in the Sony hack: Charlize Theron’s new $10 million and upwards pay check.
“Last month, leaked Sony emails revealed unequal pay between men and women in Hollywood, both with employees who work behind the scenes at studios and with on-screen celebrities.
In one instance, it came to light that Jennifer Lawrence was paid less than her male costars in the Oscar-nominated “American Hustle” — despite arguably being a more in-demand star than any other cast member.
And Charlize Theron took note.
For her coming Universal movie “The Huntsman” — the prequel to 2012’s successful “Snow White and the Huntsman,” which earned nearly $397 million worldwide at the box office — the actress demanded to be paid the same as her male costar, Chris Hemsworth.”
- And we end off today with some different Golden Globes, courtesy of Jeremy Renner and Jennifer Lopez’s on-stage banter at last night’s awards show.
Oh, Jeremy, you rascal!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: January 12, 2015