Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Have you checked out those first reactions to Avengers: Age of Ultron? Still not convinced? SERIOUSLY?!! Well, then there’s only one way to fix that: Hulk vs Hulkbuster fight!
- Looks like James Wan is planning to conquer all four elements. Furious 7 has already seen him drop cars out of the air, set fire to half of Los Angeles and probably wobble the axis of the earth with some of The Rock’s punches. The only thing left to do is water, and if the reports are true then he will definitely get his chance as the water cooler talk is that he is being eyed to helm DC/WB’s upcoming Aquaman.
- Have you been very vocal about Idris Elba becoming the next James Bond? Well, congratulations, you just ensured that Idris Elba won’t become the next Bond because he’s tired of hearing about it.
“Honestly, it’s a rumor that’s really starting to eat itself. If there was ever any chance of me getting Bond, it’s gone.”
“Daniel Craig actually set the rumor off. About four years ago he said ‘Idris Elba would be a great Bond’ and then it started to creep. I blame Daniel.”
Well played, Mr. Craig. Well played. That’s some Bond villain levels of sneaky planning and forethought.
- Poster of the day: Marvel’s Daredevil
- Sofia Boutella certainly made a, shall we say, sharp debut as the literal blade runner Giselle in Kingsman: The Secret Service, and now the Algerian-French dancer turned actress has translated that breakout baddass performance into a headline gig in a major franchise. According to Deadline, she has landed one of the lead roles in the upcoming Star Trek 3 which is being directed by Justin Lin. There are zero details on her character, but I’m assuming that she will have normal human legs this time. Either that or this will be the worst typecasting in history.
- We’ve seen some set-pics, but now it’s time to get all official with this first image from Creed, which sees Sylvester Stallone reprise his iconic role as boxing legend Rocky Balboa to train Michael B. Jordan’s Adonis, the son of his one-time rival/best friend Apollo creed, in the art of stair-running, meat punching and skipping like you’re on tik. None of which can be seen here.
- So basically, if you spend decades working hard to become one of the most beloved and celebrated actors of your time, you will get to play a clock (that’s clock with an “l”. At least that’s the life lesson I’m taking away from the news that Sir Ian McKellen will be playing Cogsworth in Disney’s upcoming live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast.
- This weekend past a big Avengers press event was held in LA for a bunch of online bloggers (*sniff* we weren’t invited*sniff*). During the event, the cast were all in attendance and kept folks up to date with what was happening on social media. And while they all had some nice contributions, Robert Downey Jr. was just at his Robert Downey Jr-est best on Twitter.
- Ladies and gentlemen, the day that we’ve all been waiting for is finally here: You can now buy your own Tron lightcycles. Praise the Grid!
- A remake of classic sci-fi movie Logan’s Run (which has absolutely nothing to with Hugh Jackman’s early morning jogging routine, by the way) has been in development hell for years now. Numerous people, including Ryan Gosling and Nicolas Winding-Refn have taken a crack at it now with no success, but apparently the latest attempt is being tweaked to have one major change. The lead character of Logan, played by Michael Yorke in the original, is apparently going to be a young woman now. I hope it’s not Brooke Logan from Bold and the Beautiful or my gran is going to be getting upset at the TV all over again.
- Peter Dinklage is awesome. That’s pretty much all the preamble you need to watch this brilliant interview.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: April 13, 2015