Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- With The Expendables 3 releasing tomorrow, it seems only pertinent that we take a look back at where the franchise began. Honestly.
- Looks like Justin Theroux won’t be reentering the world of male models after all. The Leftovers, Damon Lindelof’s trippy mystery drama in which Theroux stars, has officially been renewed for a second season, meaning that Theroux probably won’t have time for more blue steel adventures with Derek Zoolander.
- Poster of the Day: The Little Death
- With Captain America: The Winter Soldier being one of the biggest box-office hits and most well review blockbusters of the year, you would probably forgive screenwriter Christopher Markus for developing a big head. But interview show him to still be as normal as can be. Doesn’t mean he isn’t trying his best to get a big head though. Or more specifically, getting super-craniumed villain MODOK into the movies (which at one stage was rumoured to happen with Peter Dinklage playing the role).
“I don’t know if there’s anybody that we had in the wings that we couldn’t pull off. There are people that I’m always wanting to bring in. I want to put MODOK into something, but you can’t just drop a giant floating head in! It’s not like “Oh, we have to go talk to this guy – there’s something I should tell you about him first…” [laughs]. Suddenly the whole movie needs to take on that structure in order to accommodate him. I never win that fight!”
- And thanks to somebody named Patrick Delahanty and this incredible dancing baby Groot that he’s created, I think my X-mas gift from myself to myself (what? You guys don’t do those?) has been sorted.
“I made this using a “Movin’ & Groovin’” flower I got from eBay, cut off the dumb daisy, covered the stem on felt and twine, sculpted the head from Model Magic, and painted everything with brown and tan paint. He can now dance to Peter Quill’s Awesome Mix or my own.”
- Oh dear, looks like that Star Wars: Episode VII ship has sprung a leak again. A leak about ships actually. According a French Star Wars fan site Mintinbox (via Latino Review), somebody managed to get a cellphone camera onto the film’s London set and snapped off what appear to be shots of the cockpit a very familiar looking YT-1300 as well as the corridor of what appears to be a Star Destroyer.
- Jeez, Westworld, would you slow down with all the big casting announcements now? Soon there won’t be any stars left in Hollywood who aren’t this new adaptation’s pilot episode. The latest to join in the robot gunslinging action is Thandie Newton, who has been cast to play “Maeve Millay, a beautiful and razor-sharp woman with a genius for reading people and a knack for survival. Maeve is the Westworld madame whose seen-it-all-before worldview is about to be truly challenged.”
- Dear Marvel, if you’re still looking for somebody to play titular superhero Luke Cage in your upcoming TV series on Netflix, then Terry Crews would just like you to know that he’s definitely still interested in the portraying one of his favourite heroes on screen.
“I would love to do Luke Cage. I heard they finally green-lit that whole thing and I would love to do something like that. I have so many [favourite superheroes, but] I have to go back to Luke Cage just because he was our Superman. There were no African-American superheroes out there. He was the first. He was the man. He was the one. The only example we could look at.
“I remember then seeing Falcon and a couple of others. Even in the D.C. Universe there was Cyborg. But Luke Cage was the original one where you said ‘This is me. This is my guy. This is the character.’ So he’s the equivalent to Superman for me. But I have plenty. Second to Luke Cage would probably be The Hulk. The Hulk was amazing.”
Marvel may just have to have Cage go by the other title he’s sometime used: Puh-puh-puh=POWER MAN!
- We don’t really have marquees at our cinemas, but I really wish they would start doing them again, just so that we get stuff like these 17 Hilariously Inappropriate Movie Marquees.
A Tranformers sex tape? Probably just sounds like dubstep.
- Sharks in a tornado? Pfffftt… That’s so boring. We’re going next level, son. Stepping up our game. We’re talking a shark Columbo! A SHARKLUMBO!! (Pray to any deity you hold dear that nobody at SyFy sees this, because you just know they will really do it).
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: August 14, 2014