Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Darryn was all raring to blow your minds today with the first officially released teaser trailer for Batman v Superman: Horn of Rhinoceros, but alas, those damn Hollywood shucksters got us again. Taking to Twitter director Zack Snyder merely released this teaser for the teaser trailer (Gah!). The real teaser trailer will actually be unveiled on Monday at some big IMAX event in Los Angeles.
— ZackSnyder (@ZackSnyder) April 16, 2015
You may notice that despite BvS featuring a new Superman costume, these lazy folk just went and recycled footage from Man of Steel, which still uses the old costume.
- Generally when a Hollywood movie is released that prominently features a non-Hollywood country and its culture, said country usually makes a big fuss over it. And that’s exactly what’s happening with Child 44, director Daniel “Safe House” Espinosa’s new thriller starring Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and Noomi Rapace set in Stalinist Russia. Except it’s totally the wrong kind of fuss as the film’s Russian release has been cancdelle by authorities after they had a private screening of the film, claiming that it “distorted historical facts” and gave “peculiar renditions” of events related to WWII and Soviet characters from that era.
- Poster of the Day: Rear Window
- So remember that Dennis Quaid set blowout of yesterday? Yeah, it was all fake and actually part of a Funny or Die video. Damn pranksters.
- David Caruso is a knob. This is one of those universally acknowledge facts. After making it big with NYPD: Blue the actor famously wiped his rear with the show so that he can go become a big time movie superstar. Which of course never happened. Before he left the show though, he made life hell on the set, always looking down on everybody around him, including David Milch, the show’s creator and lead writer who had to put up with Caruso’s constant bitching about the scripts. Including that time he totally had a heart attack for real from arguing with Caruso, but wouldn’t give the actor the pleasure of him bailing out of the argument so he just kept going until he made his point anyway.
- If you looked at those set pics for Marvel’s AKA Jessica Jones that was released earlier, and wondered why we were making a fuss over some British actor named David Tennant playing a purple villain, then clearly, you’re not a Doctor Who fan. And I have a suspicion that Disney, Marvel’s parent company, realize that people like this are out there, which would explain why they’re planning to release seasons 2-4 of Doctor Who on Disney XD. Those are of course the seasons during which Tennant, arguably the best actor in modern series, had his tenure as the title character.
- This is being billed as a new trailer for Mad Max: Fury Road, but really it’s more of a glorified featurette as it takes a look back at all the previous movies in the franchise. It’s also bloody freaking cool (and also made me sentimental for some Mad Max Mullet).
- So remember that rumour that Angelina Jolie could direct Captain Marvel? Well, it’s picking up steam again as Collider’s sources tell them that “she’s definitely under consideration for the job”. As for the film’s writers, there’s nothing rumoured there as Marvel have now officially appointed Nicole Perlman and Meg LaFeuvre to pen the script. Perlman is a Marvel favourite as she did the initial draft for James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy, while LaFeuvre co-wrote Disney/Pixar’s upcoming Inside Out which looks fantastic.
- Of all the movie mashups I thought I would see one day, Up and Gran Torino was certainly not one of them. Thanks, Internet.
- Can’t wait until tonight to get your Star Wars: The Force Awakens fix? Well, then you can head over to Making Star Wars, who have somehow managed to get a hold of the complete casting list for the movie. And yes, it does give away some SPOILER-ific info about who will be showing up.
- Can we please go back to using this theme song for the next Thor movie? It would be so awesome! And by “awesome” I mean totally the opposite of that.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: April 16, 2015