Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Who loves free movies? Clearly, we do! And here’s an opportunity to see another one of our most highly anticipated releases all for free! Gratis! Niks! MNet Movies will be presenting a free preview screening of upcoming Keanu Reeves actioner John Wick on Thursday, December 4, at The Zone in Rosebank, Cedar Square in Johannesburg, Gateway in Durban and Cavendish in Cape Town. The movie has been getting nothing but praise from just about anybody that’s seen it – and for good reason! – so go and grab your free tickets now as they’re on first come, first serve basis. I’m checking it out on Monday, and cannot wait!
- Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart are about to make you Get Hard….. I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist that sentence. I apologize. To make you forget about that, here are the first pics of the upcoming comedy which sees Ferrell as a wealthy banker facing a lengthy jail sentence who hires “thug” Hart to toughen him up for prison.
- Like George Michael once said, you gotta have faith. And luckily for Kirk Cameron, there are still lots of people who do. The ex-Growing Pains star turned Christian filmmaker’s latest religion-heavy flick, Saving Christmas, has been savaged by critics like half-blind ancient Christians covered in Jimmy’s Braai Sauce in an arena full of hungry lions*, resulting in a mere %10 rating on RottenTomatoes. But apparently when people identify with your movie’s message, all of those reviews means didly squat. Saving Christmas had just over a $1 million opening weekend, which doesn’t sound like much until you factor in that it opened in just 410 cinemas. That means that it’s earnings per venue is actually very good, especially considering that the film didn’t even have a promotional budget. It did have a poster that looked it could come from and 1980’s Arnold Schwarzenegger comedy though.
- Poster of the Day: Alien
- Guardians of the Galaxy is undoubtedly the best movie ever where the hero stops the galaxy from being destroyed through a dance-off. It’s also the only movie where the hero stops the galaxy from being destroyed through a dance-off, but that’s besides the point because it was friggin’ cool! The only problem is that we only got to see Chris Pratt’s Star Lord bust a move. What about Ronan, Gamora and Drax? Where do they get to break it down? Well, that’s why we have hilarious outtake videos like this:
- You would think that people would just lining up to work with a writer/director pairing as celebrated as Aaron Sorkin and David Fincher, but it would seem that the duo just can’t get a break with the planned Steve Jobs biopic. First Christian Bale baled *cough* on the lead role, and now, in a very unexpected move, Sony Pictures has completely dropped the film, with no clear reason being made public as to why they did so. There’s some talk that Dreamworks may pick it up again, but still this very surprising. There’s been talk that Michael Fassbender was going to replace Bale, and Seth Rogen was apparently also in negotiations to co-star as Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, so this will really be a high high-profile production. It would be silly for this to just end up on the shelf.
- How’s this for life imitating art? Tarryn Manning, who plays unhinged hillbilly troublemaker Pennsatucky on Orange Is the New Black, has been arrested for apparently violating a restraining order taken out against her by a former roommate after she threatened her with violence. In typical Pennsatucky-style, Manning had been held in contempt of court by not showing up for her hearing, instead tweeting that there were in fact no charges against her. The cops who arrested her later begged to disagree.
- And on today’s episode of ‘Holy Crap! That’s Weird!’, we bring you this mashup of the trailers for Wes Anderson’s whimsical Fantastic Mr. Fox and Bennet Miller’s intense Foxcatcher. That’s right, it’s the trailer for Fantastic Mr. Foxcatcher!
- If you read my review for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 earlier today, then you already know a few things about the new movie. But now you can learn 7 more things about the whole record breaking franchise that you (probably) didn’t know.
- Talk about breaking down stereotypes! Funny lady (or so I’ve been told, since I’m not a fan of her work) Melissa McCarthy has reportedly signed up to star as (usually) tiny fairy Tinker Bell in a still untitled live action film from director Shawn Levy (Night At the Museum 1-3, Real Steel). The plot details of the comedy is being kept under wraps, and it’s unclear if the film will have some connection to J.M. Barry’s Peter Pan – where the character originated – or will be something entirely new. It is known that Levy came up with the idea, spitballed it with McCarthy and has now turned it over to Nicholas Stoller (Neighbours, Muppets Most Wanted, Sex Tape) to pen the script.
- I watched Big Hero 6 the other day. Thanks to some pesk NDA’s you guys are going to have to wait a few weeks to read my review, but I will share one nugget of info about the movie: Man, there’s a lot of swearing in there! What, you don’t believe me that Disney and Marvel would make an animated kids movie filled with the type of dialogue that would make Joe Pesci blush? Then just check out this video as proof of their potty mouths!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
*Yes, I know that the whole “Christians being fed to lions” thing is historically untrue, but I’m allowed some leeway for dramatic effect.
Last Updated: November 20, 2014