Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Forget an armoured Ben Affleck trying to punch a mopey Henry Cavill, THIS is the only Batman v Superman movie that I want to see! Okay, so maybe I desperately want to see that other one as well, but this one, man!
- SyFy is getting in the Wes Craven business, as the veteran Nightmare On Elm Street horror maestro is developing two new TV series for the US cable network. The People Under The Stairs is a TV series remake of Craven’s 1991 movie of the same name that is being billed as “a contemporary Downton Abbey meets Amityville Horror” that follows “a young woman [who] goes missing at the grand Robeson Family Manor”. The other TV series, We Are All Completely Fine, focuses on a psychologist named Dr. Jan Sayer, who “gathers survivors of five horror movie scenarios in a support group—and unwittingly unlocks the evils of her patients’ pasts.”
Survivors of horror movie scenarios? I guess there won’t be any black dudes in this show then.
- Speaking of TV shows, are you wondering if your current favourite reality show that you’re too ashamed to admit in public that you like will be renewed for another season? Well, then head over to TV.com where they have a breakdown of which shows are coming back, and which are getting the axe.
- Poster of the day: The Walk
- So I’ve got some vacation time coming up and I’m taking a trip to unwind in this year’s hottest holiday destination that also happens to be the hollowed out decapitated head of a dead ancient giant space god.
- If you’re in any way a fan or even just marginally interested in Joss Whedon and his two Avengers movies, then you need to go read this massive – but also massively insightful – interview/write-up of the man and his movies over on Buzzfeed.
- Seriously, Hollywood? Steve Carrell and Emma Stone have just signed on to play Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King in The Battle of the Sexes, a retelling of the famous 1973 cross-gender tennis match between the two that made headlines around the world. This is not to be confused with Matchmaker, the also-in-development movie about the exact same thing starring Will Ferrel as Riggs. Which is also not to be confused with the also-in-development untitled movie about the exact same thing starring Paul Giamatti as Riggs and Elizabeth Banks as King.
- “Billy Zane is so hot right now” is not something that anybody has said since The Phantom. Nor was it said during and before The Phantom actually. But he may just get his chance now as Ben Stiller has confirmed that Zane will reprise his small original role in the upcoming Zoolander 2.
- And speaking of Zoolander, I have a feeling that he would really love these brilliant and hilarious tiny Ant-Man billboards that Marvel have apparently been putting up all over Australia.
- James Wan may be riding a massive wave petrol and money at the moment with the record-breaking success of mega-action movie Furious 7, but that doesn’t mean that he’s forgotten his roots in making scary movies. Wan will be teaming up with his The Conjuring screenwriting duo, Chad and Carey Heyes, to produce a new remake of 1982 horror classic The Entity. The original starred Barbara Hershey and was based on the “true story” of Carla Moran, “a single mom who was abused physically and sexually by a supernatural demon” while authorities believe the abuse is all self inflicted and that the woman was delusional due to past traumatic experiences.
As Wan is currently one of the hottest directors in Hollywood right now and probably has a pretty full slate of big films, it’s uncertain if he will helm this as well as produce.
- As geeks around the world know – and non-geeks will probably find out endlessly later in the year – October 21, 2015 is the date that Marty McFly travels to in the future in Back To the Future II. And to mark the date this year, Nike are bringing out the same self-lacing sneakers that the character wears in the future. But of course, we couldn’t give 1.21 jigawatts about sneakers. There’s only thing we want from the movie future. Or actually 10 things we want from the movie future.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: April 21, 2015