Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- So how many times have times have you watched that goosebumpy trailer for The Avengers: Age of Ultron? I’m going to guess the answer is “A lot” based on the fact that in just 2 days, the official trailer is sitting on just shy of 23 million views on Youtube at the time of me writing this. In comparison, the first official trailer for The Avengers released three years ago, is still only hovering around the 21 million mark
- And keeping things Marvel-ous, if you’ve checked out this past week’s episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. you would have had your first meeting with Adriane Palicki’s ass-kicking Agent Bobbi Morse aka Mockingbird. But that is one first impression that won’t last as you [SPOILER ALERT] only saw her in her undercover HYDRA uniform. No, after she’s joined the team properly, Mockingbird is getting a brand new costume and it’s pretty cool. And tactical, apparently.
- The McConnaissance may be in full swing, with Matthew McConnaughey just digging his teeth into one meaty, awards worthy role after the other. But once upon a time, McConaughey wasn’t the chest thumping Oscar winner he is now, as he spent years slumming it in a number of rom-coms. At least that’s what most people thought, but not McConaughey himself who says that those rom-coms were a lot more work than people were give them credit for.
“These things aren’t easy. What’s hard is to make them look easy. Those kinds of movies are what they are. They get pooh-poohed by critics. They get pooh-poohed by actors themselves. And in a way I get it, but in other ways it’s completely unfair. There’s a buoyancy you need to make them work. I believe I gave them buoyancy. And some of the shoots were very difficult, with me trying to fight for the balls on the guy.”
“What’s a romantic comedy? Boy meets girl. They get together. Something happens. Girl takes off. Boy chases girl. They get back together. The end. A lot of times the male is somewhat emasculated, meaning he has to crawl back and say, ‘I’m nothing without you. If you don’t take me back, I’m nothing.’ And I was always like, ‘what girl wants that guy?’ I’ve got no problem saying, ‘I’m sorry. You want to give this another shot?’ But I’ve got to come back with some integrity even if it’s on a moped with a veil on my head. Look, I’m happy if you think I ‘cruised through’ those. I did my work.”
- And for today’s bit of random time wasting, Screencrush has gone and ranked all the “dumb hats” worn by Johnny Depp’s characters. He’s worn a lot of really dumb hats.
- Poster of the day: Okay, so this isn’t actually a poster, but hey, I make the rules around here! What this is legendary artist Alex Ross’ painted cover to Star Wars #1, the very first Star Wars comic published by Marvel in decades (made possible by Disney obviously now owning both Marvel and Lucasfilm).
- And heard earlier in the year that Pixar’s The Incredibles and Ratatouile – both directed by Brad Bird, by the way – were getting post-converted 3D Blu Ray re-releases. However, it’s been picked up that when the films were classified in the UK by the British Board of Film Classification, Ratatouille was listed as a “video” release, whereas Incredibles was put down as a “film” release. This has led to speculation that the latter is actually going to be released in cinemas as well. As The Incredibles is my favourite movie in Pixar’s entire stable, if this were to happen, I’d be first in line!
- Rebecca over at Pajiba really, REALLY loves Mortal Kombat and would like to tell you – with the assistance of some handy animated gifs – why it is the greatest movie ever made.
- If you’re a Robocop fan and happen to have about R3000 just lying around, then this latest figure from Sideshow Collectibles is just the one for you (or me, if you’re feeling altruistic!). The sixth-scale “Battle damaged” figure boasts the usual Sideshow insanely accurate detail – right down to Murphy’s creepy human face – but their attention to the small stuff is taken even beyond their normal high standards as the figure ships with three bottles of baby food!
- Late Apple boss Steve Jobs was a very intense and abrasive person. Hell, some would even call him an overly aggressive bully. So to play him on screen, you need a special kind of actor. Somebody like Christian Bale.
- Man, that DC is just rubbing this whole equality thing in Marvel’s face now! They already have the more diverse movie and cast lineup, and now it’s been revealed that Warner Bros is specifially looking for a female director to helm Gal Gadot’s solo Wonder Woman movie.
- Hey, if Abraham Lincoln can be a vampire hunter, then Chris Pine sure as hell can be a vampire lawyer! Especially if it’s this damn funny!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: October 24, 2014