Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Halo or Call of Duty? Which of these video game mega-franchises do you prefer? Personally, I like ’em both, which makes picking just one rather difficult. So I guess they’re just going to have to fight each other to the death in an awesome fan film.
- House of Cards is getting another remake! And this one is going to be French! (and no, that doesn’t mean that it’s going to quit after one season). Netflix, producers of the current iteration of the show starring Kevin Spacey as scheming US President Frank Underwood (which is actually a remake of a 90’s British mini-series), are producing a French version called Marseille and are rumoured to be looking at Gerard Depardieu to lead the cast.
- Poster of the day: Point Break remake
- For me, the worst part of Mad Max: Fury Road is that it seriously leaves me pining for what could have been with George Miller’s Justice League: Mortal had Warner Bros not pulled the plug on it at the very last minute back in 2008. And now we may finally get a glimpse, as director Ryan Unicomb has announced that he’s producing a documentary about the abandoned superhero blockbuster which will “interview some of the cast and crew who would have worked on the film and gain access to never-before-seen artwork and costumes” to provide “an unbiased account of the project’s development, preproduction and cancellation, as well as the impact on the Australian film industry”.
- First Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation gets pushed forward 5 months because the production just ran that well, and now there’s word coming around that Mission: Impossible 6 is already in development by Paramount, two months before the other film has even been released yet! Looks like there’s no slowing down this Cruise missile!
- Look, I know that not many of you have seen indie hit Safety Not Guaranteed, so you’re a bit skeptical about this Colin Treverrow fellow helming Jurassic World. So here’s the granddaddy of these dinos himself, Steven Spielberg, to lend you some confidence.
- Marvel’s Daredevil was amazing, but you know what it really lacked? Yeah, some law and order (intro credits).
- If you ever want to witness just how desensitized we’ve become to a lot of “horror” aspects, just ask somebody to watch The Exorcist today. While still a seminal piece of film, chances are a modern audience will probably not only not find the movie really scary, they may even think it a bit silly in places. Back in 1973 when it was released though? There wasn’t a damn thing silly about it as people were passing out in the audience from shock!
- While Margot Robbie is looking fantastic as Harley Quinn in the currently shooting Suicide Squad, this is not the first live-action appearance for the popular comic book character. Sort of. You may recall that in season 2 episode of Arrow, there was a very brief cameo where you saw a pigtailed lady and heard Quinn’s distinct voice in a prison. And then nothing came of it. According to actress Willa Holland (who plays Thea Queen on the show) though, there were plans for her, but they got shut down by the big bosses upstairs.
“We had big plans for Harley. But, I guess something came down from DC execs that told us to shut it down. I mean we had that tease with the pigtails and the A.R.G.U.S. outfit but, we’ll never see it. We would love to Harley in Arrow but it will never happen.”
“Pertaining to all the movies that are being made and stuff like that in the comic book world, it’s also taken a side away from the TV shows. Because we had the Suicide Squad and these things inside of it, ARGUS. We were going really heavily into that for a minute. And then, something must have come down from DC or some higher-up above that said ‘No, you must cease and desist because we’re going to make it into a movie and we can’t have anyone spoil that idea.'”
- If you’ve ever doubted Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s awesomeness, then let this video fix that for you. You may just need some tissues for this one!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: May 26, 2015