While physical releases of movies are not as profitable as they once were, they are still appealing to real fans and studios seems to be embracing this philosophy with continually investing in great additional features and footage to make a DVD or Blu-ray physical purchase of the movie more worthwhile to the true fan.
And with a fan base as fanatical as Star Wars, it makes sense that they are investing a considerable amount into extra footage to make all those fans who are craving to get The Force Awakens on a physical medium so that they can complete their boxed-sets. And we now have an idea of some of the additional content that will be available once the film finds its way to physical release, which as it is still playing in some theaters, is still a few months off.
Currently they are planning for a digital release of the move to take place on the April 1st (or its just some elaborate joke) with physical Blu-Ray and DVD release occurring on April 5th. Target in the US in particular seems to have some exclusive content in the physical copy they will have available, with over 20 additional minutes worth of content, which includes a never-before-seen interview with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, and a deeper look at the movie’s weaponry.
Whether this will remain a Target exclusive internationally remains to be seen and hopefully we will get the full editions with all content in South Africa. Personally, some of that extra stuff is not really for me, but I’m sure there are many who will be clamoring to get their hands on that additional 20 minutes of footage.
And with regards to some of the other features that will be available as standard across all the releases, we have a breakdown of it below. There is no detail if the content is available equally across Blu-Ray and DVD or if there will be differences between the two:
- Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of The Force Awakens, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this feature documentary.
- The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script.
- Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars universe.
- Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life.
- Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic light-saber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren.
- John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens.
- ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.
- Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has united Star Wars fans all over the globe to help others.
In addition, they have also released a new trailer for the physical releases that can be found below:
Are you planning on getting Star Wars: The Force Awakens in physical copy or are you content with just the standard movie and don’t feel the need to invest in some of this extra content?
Last Updated: March 4, 2016