Believe it or not, but Hollywood has been kicking around ideas for a Batman vs Superman film for years already. Ever since men in tights beating the snot out of each other became popular (Thanks WWE!), Warner Bros has been looking for a way to pit the two titans of comics against one another. In 2002, that almost became a reality with this script from Andrew Kevin Walker that was then revised by Akiva Goldsman.
And it’s a weird one.
If you don’t have time to read the whole thing, here’s the gist of it:
- Bruce Wayne has been retired from Batmanning for five years now
- Former Robin Dick Grayson, loyal butler Alfred Pennyworth and Commisioner Gordon are all dead
- Clark Kent is divorced from Lois Lane and is pretty bitter about it
- Bruce marries one Elizabeth Miller who is then murdered by the Joker on their honeymoon.
- Naturally, Bruce flips and once again dons his batsuit and uncovers a plot that involves Lex Luthor
- Clark starts romancing his Smallville crush Lana Lang
- Bruce flips further and blames Superman for like everything
- No way, Lex Luthor orchestrated everything?
- TEAM-UP TIME!
There’s a few other interesting beats in the script as well, and the actual fight that it leads up to isn’t badly imagined at all. It’s not a bad script at all actually. While a script is only a blueprint for the final film, I’d have actually still liked to have seen this movie made. Here’s the full thing for you to read from io9:
Last Updated: August 29, 2013