Friendly giants and mad turtles have entered the fray, but they can’t beat a fish and a rock. Still, at least they are ahead of the silly aliens and spooky nuns.
The Giant Awakens… in Third
The Big Friendly Giant is bound to be a crowd-pleaser, providing it finds the right vein: kid audiences. But it will be fighting for attention with Finding Dory, which in classic Pixar fashion is appealing to just about everyone.
Meanwhile the chemistry between Dwayne Johnston and Kevin Heart is paying off in Central Intelligence, which retained its second place for a second week. The BFG will have to settle for third, which is better than the fourth spot debut of the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie.
That’s not a solid start for such a CG-laden adventure, but maybe it can hold on. The rest of the chart is not offering much competition…
Independence Day 2 is slumping, falling two places and really not getting the love a blockbuster wants. But Warcraft is doing even worse, fla-tlining for a second week and dropping four spot to tenth. It will be gone soon.
The rest of the pack all shifted a little, by one or two spots, and locally we are still being represented by the hit Mrs. Right Guy.
But with two in, two leave, so Money Monster is out, but that isn’t unexpected. George Clooney’s political films are more for awards anyway. But I’m sure a few are disappointed that The Nice Guys also failed to get any love from audiences.
- 01. FINDING DORY (incl 3D & Imax) (LW: 1)
- 02. CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE (LW: 2)
- 03. BFG: THE BIG FRIENDLY GIANT (Incl 3D) (NE)
- 04. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2 (NE)
- 05. INDEPENDENCE DAY 2: RESURGENCE (Incl 3D, Imax & 4DX) (LW: 3)
- 06. THE CONJURING 2 (LW: 4)
- 07. NOW YOU SEE ME: THE SECOND ACT (LW: 5)
- 08. ANGRY BIRDS (Incl 3D) (LW: 7)
- 09. MRS RIGHT GUY (LW: 8)
- 10. WARCRAFT (Incl 3D & Imax) (lw: 6)
(LW = Last Week; NE = New Entry)
Last Updated: July 5, 2016