I don’t think that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the best Star Wars movie, but I do happen to think that it is home to one of the bestest lightsaber duels in the series. That final fight between Kylo Ren, Finn and Rey? That was fantastic stuff, a brutal choreography of the power of the Force barely triumphing over the Dark Side.
Rey came out on top in that first duel, but you just know that a rematch is on the way. And according to some spoilerage on the set of Star Wars Episode VIII: Luke Over There, we’re in for one hell of a fight scene. That’s according to the fine fellows at ScreenGeek, MakingStarWars.net and translations from StarWarsUnion, with sources describing a particular scene. Here’s the part where I tell you that this Death Spoiler is fully armed and operational, after the image:
Recently I glimpsed some photos of a set on the water at Malin Head. On the shoreline were seven men in black. There might be more but some of the people are hard to make out. All of these people are wearing all black with helmets, resembling medieval knights with weapons. The characters are not wearing the black covers to hide their costumes like they did back at Dubrovnik. These are actual black costumes. It is my opinion and the source’s opinion that these are the Knights of Ren. Kylo Ren could always have another gang of warriors in black but I think its likely they’re the guys we saw in The Force Awakens.
There are “black helmeted medieval-looking figures” going after Luke Skywalker and Rey on the coast of Ahch-To. The guys I once referred to as Jedi Hunters back in the day were described in the same way back during the production of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
From what I have heard a few times, Rey is reluctant with (if not angry at) Luke Skywalker because she has to kill Kylo Ren and she doesn’t want to do it. The scene that follows appears to be when the showdown finally begins. I suppose she accepts her duty or has no choice but to fight.
And then the sources went on to describe the following scene, which apparently had “a lot of wire work”:
- Luke Skywalker and Rey are on Ach-To during a rainy nightfall scene
- Rey has a new hairstyle and is sans the vest she wore at the end of the Force Awakens
- Luke is wearing a darker tunic, similar to his clothing in Return of the Jedi
- Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren are present on this coastline
- Kylo wears the same outfit as he did in The Force Awakens, but he has left the mask behind
- Kylo also still has his signature crossguard lightsaber
- Rey and Kylo duel one on one, as he seeks revenge after being humiliated by Rey in Episode VII
- Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker fights off the entire Knights of Ren squad and utterly wrecks them
- The first Knight to attack Luke gets sent flying off of a cliff with a Force push
- Luke then ignites his green lightsaber and begins working his way through the Knights of Ren one by one
- Rey and Kylo continue their duel up the side of a cliff, but Kylo appears to take the momentum in this rematch
- Luke begins calmly walking towards Kylo to finish him, but Ren decides to retreat when he sees that his Knights have all been defeated
Holy choreographic lightsaber badassery Batman. Remember, Star Wars: Episode VIII has Riaan Johnson directing, taking over from JJ Abrams on this latest chapter. So expect a different tone to these fight scenes compared to what Abrams and his fight team created for The Force Awakens. Still, there’ll most likely be a similar language to how these scenes are performed, but it sounds like an exciting encounter that must have taken months to properly organise.
Star Wars: Episode VIII is out next year on December 15.
Last Updated: September 8, 2016
September 8, 2016 at 13:56
“The first Knight to attack Luke gets sent flying off of a cliff with a Force push”
“A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.”
I guess Luke must have heard that one backwards as well.