Assassin’s Creed designer leaves Ubisoft. Again.

3 min read
14

GTFO

I giggled at the implicit irony when Patrice Désilets, the chap who designed the first two Assassin’s Creed games, left Ubisoft for THQ, only to have he and his team acquired by Ubisoft after THQ’s meltdown. I’m not sure if I should be giggling a second time – because he’s now left Ubisoft. Again.

This time, it seems like there’s some pretty bad blood brewing. Ubisoft released a statement saying that Désilets had “left” the company after he and Ubisoft failed to “align their vision.”

“The acquisition of THQ Montréal in January allowed Ubisoft to welcome 170 experienced developers, including Patrice Désilets, to our existing and renowned workforce.

“Unfortunately, since the acquisition, the good faith discussions between Patrice and Ubisoft aimed at aligning Patrice’s and the studio’s visions have been inconclusive. As a result, Patrice has left the studio. Our priorities remain with the teams already hard at work on projects in development. They are at the root of Ubisoft Montréal’s past and future successes.”

It was not quite as amicable a split as the statement implied though, Désilets told Polygon.

“Contrary to any statements made earlier today, this morning I was terminated by Ubisoft,” Désilets said. “I was notified of this termination in person, handed a termination notice and was unceremoniously escorted out of the building by two guards without being able to say goodbye to my team or collect my personal belongings.

“This was not my decision.”

He’s not happy, calling Ubisoft’s actions “baseless and without merit,” adding that, “I intend to fight Ubisoft vigorously for my rights, for my team and for my game.”

Read  Getting to grips with Starlink: Battle for Atlas

He was busy working on two titles; the previously announced ‘1666’, and a new game of which we’ve seen nothing, entitled ‘Underdog’. I’m starting to believe Ubisoft made sure to pickup THQ Montreal, just so they could fire Désilets and leave egg on his face. 

Last Updated: May 8, 2013

Geoffrey Tim

Editor. I'm old, grumpy and more than just a little cynical. One day, I found myself in possession of a NES, and a copy of Super Mario Bros 3. It was that game that made me realise that games were more than just toys to idly while away time - they were capable of being masterpieces. I'm here now, looking for more of those masterpieces.

Check Also

Starlink: Battle for Atlas reviews round up – Here’s what critics think of Ubisoft’s late Toys-to-Life entry

The Toys to Life genre is effectively dead. While Nintendo is still selling Amiibo by the …