Call of Duty director apologises for misguided marketing stunt

2 min read
13

codtweets

Last month, we told you about the misguided marketing stunt that Call of Duty’s social media handlers perpetrated. They changed their Twitter account to a faux, in-game news channel, and live-tweeted out specifics of a disastrous terrorist attack that hadn’t actually happened. It caused a fair bit of pandemonium, with many thinking the emergency was real.

This, somehow, came as a complete surprise to the people running the account. Speaking to IGN, Black Ops 3 creative director Jason Blundell apologised for the marketing mishap.

“… it was absolutely not done for any kind of attention in any way. It was not done maliciously, or as any kind of scare tactic. I personally am very sorry for anyone who looked at it and got the wrong idea because it genuinely wasn’t meant that way,” he told IGN.

“It was done on our channel, and it was to talk about the fiction of the world. I think we were as shocked as everybody else when it started blowing up, because essentially we were teeing up ready for a story beat. So again, very sorry for anyone who took it that way.”

I have no idea how they thought this wouldn’t happen, especially given the nature of Twitter and how little attention people actually pay to the finer details. Twitter’s essentially a microblogging service that serves headlines, and we know people read those and react immediately, without paying any attention to the finer details, or often, the article’s they’re attached to.

There’s no finer example of this in the local landscape than the parody Woolworths account, Woolworst_SA, which regularly has to correct very angry people who’ve failed to read properly.

Last Updated: October 13, 2015

Check Also

Spyro Reignited Trilogy – Switch review: Fun with fire

I’ll forever associate Nintendo with platformers and collect-a-thons. You could blam…