I got yer Triple-E right here! If you don’t have an Exotic weapon in Destiny, then you’re missing out on some of the best gear available. Exotics aren’t just unique death-dealers, they’re high-end weapons that Bungie has rightfully limited players to having just one equipped at any time.
They’re also hard to find, and about as plentiful as stretchy purple pants that can fit Bruce Banner and not tear when he transforms in to the Incredible Hulk without ripping. Still, some salvation is at hand.
With Xur’s weekly offering costing a quite a few Strange Coins more than usual for a random engram that either is or isn’t what you’re looking for, you’re better off buying something else in his inventory: The Three of Coins. Because those magic coins can get you the goods that you so fervently desire.
The idea behind the Three of coins is simple enough. Pop a coin, and your chances of an Ultra dropping an Exotic Engram are much, much higher now. First off, what is an Ultra?
An Ultra is a proper boss in the game, distinguishable by the yellow health bar that it has. So characters such as Skolas, Crota and Omnigul then. So who’s the best boss for this exploit? Draksis. Here’s a breakdown of the steps to Exotic joy outside of a dodgy massage parlour:
- Purchase Three of Coins from Xur
- Start the Scourge of Winter mission, any difficulty
- Kill everything until you reach the door that opens for the Draksis boss fight
- Pop a coin
- If you have a Sniper rifle such as the Icebreaker, now would be a good time to use it. Otherwise, gently walk up until Draksis is in view, and pop him a few shots
- Now comes the important part: You;re going to need to pop a rocket on Draksis that won’t only take him out, but you as well
- If Draksis doesn’t drop an engram, just rinse and repeat, and pop another coin. Remember, the effect stacks
- Kamikaze Draksis again, and within a few tries, you’ll have a shiny new Exotic Engram
- Remember, only use one coin at a time, as the buff resets every time an Ultra is dropped
- Enjoy your new Exotics, earned in the blood of Bungie devs who are probably getting ready to hotfix the exploit on Friday
I used that exploit myself, and picked up some rather spiffy gear: The Invective and Fourth Horseman shotguns, the Monte Carlo autorifle, The Telesto fusion rifle and the Crest of Alpha Lupi chest armour.
Oh yeah, I’m proper stylin’ and profilin’ now! Of course, expect all this to change soon, Bungie’s David “DeeJ” Dague responded on Reddit to how Three of Coins is being used currently:
I was just conferring with the Design Team about how Three of Coins is performing in the wild. It is their assessment, and yours as well, given the context of the dialogue here, that the drop rates are too damn high. For now, this will play in your favor…
You earned those coins. Have fun spending them. The Nine may be delighted that you’re blowing them all now.
As always, thanks for being an outstanding source of feedback and awareness. We like you just fine.
So yeah, if you’re looking for some premium loot, and this method isn’t hot-fixed by Friday, go for it.
Last Updated: September 21, 2015