If you didn’t get a chance to play EA Sports MMA last year, then you missed out on one of the finest fighting games to come out of development. Combining easy to learn, fluid controls with the world of Mixed Martial Arts, EA MMA also featured a host of fighters from StrikeForce, essentially a rival to the bigger UFC franchise.
But with the recent acquisition of StrikeForce by UFC, it looks like EA might not be developing a sequel using licensed fighters such as Bas Rutten and Randy Couture any time soon.
UFC has already pumped out two MMA games of their own in conjunction with publisher THQ, and with a new stable of world famous fighters in their corner, it seems that the fighting league has the market cornered on official digital fisticuffs in an octagon.
EA Sports’ chief of development Andrew Wilson told Kotaku in an interview that while a sequel may not be in development right now, it doesn’t mean that the company is going to ditch the idea completely, mentioning that MMA is a sport with no single entity controlling it entirely.
A world where we’re not involved in fighting is a world I’d rather not think about. That said, what goes on in the sport, and what’s gone on between the UFC and StrikeForce, certainly has an impact on what we can do in the space.
So it’s not a no, but it’s also not a yes. We’d love for there to be one because I’m a diehard fan of the sport. We have to figure out how to make that happen.
Last year in November, EA MMA producer Jeff Ecker was keen on the idea of a sequel, mentioning that the publisher was planning to release the boxing branded Fight Night and MMA games in alternating years.
Last Updated: June 29, 2011