ARK: Survival Evolved is a pretty good game about punching trees and riding dinosaurs. But it’s not quite finished. Like most survival games, it’s been in early access for what seems like an eternity. And now (as we told you before) it’s getting a paid-for expansion pack, before the game’s even done.
Seems a bit of a cheek to me – releasing superfluous, extraneous content for a game that’s yet to go gold. I suppose though, that nobody’s forced to buy it, and whatever money it dos earn is likely being funnelled in to completing ARK, but it still seems cheeky. What makes it especially egregious is that according to the developers, this extra content is a complete and finished product.
That all said, the first ARK: Survival Evolved expansion pack, Scorched Earth is now available on both Xbox One Game Preview and Steam Early Access. You can pick it up right now for $20.
As you’d gather from its name, it features a new sandy, desert biome and creatures to go along with it.
“All of us at Wildcard are tremendously excited to see how these new features alter the dynamics of the long-term ARK ‘metagame,’” said Studio Wildcard lead designer and co-founder, Jeremy Stieglitz. “While we’ve had Scorched Earth and future ARKs in the planning stages since the project’s inception, establishing its inter-ARK travel technology was the essential reason for making this content available to players right now. We encourage everyone to grab some trustworthy tribemates, don your safari hats, layer on the SPF-1000 sunscreen, and head into the great blazing desert!”
Here’s what’s new:
- Where’s the Water?: Players must re-learn what it means to survive and thrive in a harsh desert environment depleted of water resources.
- Explore a New World: Scorched Earth is an entirely new map, composed of seven unique, desert themed biomes – dunes, high desert, mountains, canyons, badlands, oasis and the ever-dangerous dragon trench – each with their own aesthetics, resources and ecosystems, and littered with ruins, geysers, and intricate ancient cave systems.
- Craft More Than 50 New Items: Discover new outfits and structures to protect from the heat, and new tools to help survive in the harsh environment. Carry temporary shelter with you using tents, employ whips, boomerangs and flamethrowers for ‘defense,’ wind turbines to generate clean power, and water wells and oil refineries to harvest scarce resources, among many new mechanics!
- Tame New Creatures: The desert’s biomes are filled with fantastical new creatures, many of which can be tamed. Lead a caravan of the camel-like Morellatops, or rain fire down on your enemies from the back of a Wyvern. Just mind your step in the vast desert, or you might attract a Death Worm!
- Conquer New Challenges: Prepare yourself for dangerous electrical storms, blinding sand storms, befuddling heat stroke, and unleash the power of the Obelisks to come face-to-face with ARK’s deadliest boss creature to date – the ferocious Manticore!
- Travel Back to the Island: Take characters, favorite creatures and items from Scorched Earth back to the Island, standing out from the crowd and making your Island-dwelling friends jealous with all of the amazing new goodies and secrets you find in the Desert.
Last Updated: September 2, 2016
September 2, 2016 at 08:06
I used to be able to say with confidence that indie dev’s are much better than your corporate pigs like EA. But this year it’s getting pretty hard to do so with all this greed suddenly enveloping indie games.