I’m actually not against the idea of future games being strictly multiplayer/co-op only. For starters, having a focus on something can actually provide for some quality development, and secondly if done right, it could actually be pretty damn tempting to try out. And so far, Evolve is hitting all those buttons for me.
NeoGAF got their hands on the latest issue of Game Informer, and promptly went to town on the magazine, revealing the following details about the game:
- There’ll be four human classes, Assault, medic, support and trapper.
- Co-op teamwork is essential, otherwise the alien hunter is going to tear you several new orifices.
- If a hunter gets killed, it’ll take two minutes for him to respawn.
- Guns have unlimited ammo, but they need to cool down.
- Various classes have access to unique abilities. The assault class has a personal shield, the support class can boost everyone else, the medic can naturally revive and heal other players while the trapper can create a “mobile arena” with which to draw the alien in.
- Human players also have jetpacks, as well as tranquilizer guns for stun damage. Running is the default mode of locomotion, while players can also dodge attacks with a quick double-tap of a button.
- The alien can evolve by munching on wildlife found in the maps. The more wildlife consumed, the more aggressive and dangerous the alien becomes.
- When fully evolved, the creature can only then complete objectives.
- There’ll be more than one alien to choose to play as, with the Goliath being the first one revealed. The Goliath is the basic alien form on offer, and there will be plenty more in the final game.
- The Goliath can reach a height of 30 feet when it maxes out its evolution, and is described as a hybrid of great ape, snake and the infamous xenomorph from the Alien franchise.
- The Golitath starts out being able to climb walls and punch humans, but it gets two new skills whenever it levels up.
- Such skills include increased leaping power, throwing massive rocks at hunters and breathing fire on players.
- When the alien starts to evolve, it’ll briefly enter a cocoon state where it will be vulnerable to attack.
- The planet that all the action takes place on is called Shear.
- The wildlife is also dangerous, and includes creatures such as the pacifist Sloth, the dangerous in a pack trap jaws, carnivorous flora and spotters who shriek when you get close to them.
- Evolve will have a story mode centered around completing objectives, that deal with killing the creature/ humans.
The more I hear about Evolve, the more I’m liking the game. There’s only one problem though. The alien antagonist sounds so bloody intriguing, that I’m forecasting fistfights between players as to who gets to play as one. Which is why I always bring a gun to an Xbox Live party.
Last Updated: January 10, 2014